Thursday, June 19, 2008

Author-Illustrator Tasha Tudor: An Appreciation

Beloved author and artist Tasha Tudor has passed away at the age of 92.

My favorite Tudor book is probably A TIME TO KEEP, with its quaint paintings of children celebrating holidays.

I also particularly love her illustrated editions of The Lord's Prayer and The Lord is My Shepherd, which I have kept on my nightstand for many years.

Tudor is also known for illustrating beautiful editions of Frances Hodgson Burnett's THE SECRET GARDEN and A LITTLE PRINCESS. I feel THE SECRET GARDEN, in particular, was one of very best matches of illustrations and text in all of children's literature; I can't imagine reading any other edition. That book is one of my most vividly remembered childhood reading experiences; it was revisited by me many times over the years, and has since been read by my daughters.

A IS FOR ANNABELLE and 1 IS ONE are two favorites aimed at the very young; we have given 1 IS ONE, which was a Caldecott Honor Book, as a gift on many occasions. Tudor's MOTHER GOOSE was also a Caldecott Honor Book.

Tasha Tudor leaves behind a beautiful body of work which will be enjoyed by generations to come.

Friday Update: The Los Angeles Times obituary.

Update: Welcome to readers of Frog and Toad Are Still Friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Oh gosh, Laura, I had no idea she had passed away. I adored the delicacy of her work. No matter what other illustrators were doing in order to expand their repetoires or tweak their styles, Tudor was consistent and her *signature* was unmistakable.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older