Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Actor Phil Carey Dies at 83

Actor Phil Carey has died at the age of 83, less than a week after the passing of his longtime TV "son," Clint Ritchie.

Ritchie passed away on January 31st, and Carey died last Friday, February 6th.

The two actors starred for decades as Asa and Clint Buchanan on ABC's soap opera ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

Actor Robert S. Woods, who played Carey's other son, Bo, said in a statement that Carey had been like a real father to him: "I don't know if I could love him more if he was my dad."

My earliest memories of Carey are from the Granny Goose TV commercials of my childhood.

Carey, a WWII veteran, got his movie start in John Wayne's OPERATION PACIFIC (1951). He worked with director John Ford on THE LONG GRAY LINE and MISTER ROBERTS, both released in 1955.

The Carey film I recall most fondly has to be CALAMITY JANE (1953), one of my favorite Doris Day-Howard Keel movies.

Prior to his 27-year stint on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, Carey appeared in countless TV shows, including starring in the series LAREDO.

More reminisces can be found at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Wow. Both gone so close together. I used to watch this soap with my Mom back in the early 80's.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's the same time frame I used to catch it fairly often when my dorm roommate would turn it on. :) I saw it enough that I became familiar with all the actors and characters.

She also watched DAYS but I never could get interested in that one and found it easy to ignore (grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older