Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Exciting News: The TCM Classic Film Festival

I was absolutely delighted to receive an email from Turner Classic Movies today announcing the TCM Classic Film Festival.

The Festival comes to Hollywood next April 22-25, 2010.

"In April 2010, we will gather to watch great movies, introduced by the people who made them, listen to behind-the-scenes stories, enjoy newly restored films, and share our enthusiasm for classic cinema...at the first ever TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood."

There will be more than 50 screenings, each one accompanied with special introductions and guest appearances. Specific details will be announced, with passes going on sale November 18th.

As my college-age daughter said, "It's Comic Con for classic film buffs!" (Or Disney's D23.)

This reminds me of the Filmex Festivals my dad and I attended when I was a teenager. The round-the-clock marathons of musicals and Academy Award winners are some of my most vivid moviegoing memories. One year we sat up all night watching OKLAHOMA!, MY FAIR LADY, and WEST SIDE STORY. (Great fun, and keep in mind there were no videotapes, DVDs, cable television or commercial-free TV back in those dinosaur days!) We also saw in-person tributes to Olivia deHavilland and Loretta Young. What a thrill to see those great ladies of the cinema.

I look forward to further details being unveiled about the TCM Festival. I am definitely interested in blocking that weekend out on my schedule and attending!

In the meantime, here's a "trailer" for the Festival with Robert Osborne.

Friday Update: If this article is accurate, the prices for a four-day pass for a single person are, um...not realistic. $500 to $1200 for a four-day pass?

I was expecting something more along the lines of the pricing for Disney's D23 Expo, which ran well under $150 for a four-day pass.

November 21st: Here's an update. I'm afraid the prices are going to be impossible for many fans of classic film.

4 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Oh, to be in your neck of the woods during that festival!

5:32 PM  
Blogger VP81955 said...

I know what days I'll ask for vacation next year.. Now to find a way to get from Virginia to L.A.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Looks like a great festival. Hopefully they play a good number of films not available on DVD.

BTW UCLA has a 1939 films series starting this weekend that plays through the month. The cool thing is they will be showing the rarely seen films of 1939 - not the popular films of that year.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Many thanks for the UCLA tip, Matt, I'll look into that!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older