Tuesday, August 09, 2011

From My Collection: James Stewart

Here's another fun item from my collection, a letter from Jimmy Stewart.

Having been on a bus tour of movie stars' homes when I was a young teen, I knew that Stewart lived on Roxbury Drive in Beverly Hills, where his neighbors included Lucille Ball and Rosemary Clooney.

One year, when I was still in my teens, Stewart read a poem for Johnny Carson on the TONIGHT SHOW which included his street number as part of the rhyme. On a whim I sent him a Christmas card and included a note telling him how much I appreciated his movies.

Not long after that I received an envelope with the return address of a Century City office building. I was amazed and delighted to discover it contained this letter:


The last name and address are redacted since my mom still lives at that address.

I figured Mr. Stewart was the kind of man who would sign his own correspondence, but from time to time I wondered if possibly it could have been signed by a secretary. In recent years I was able to check out other examples of his signature, thanks to Google Images, and think it's the real deal. :)

James Stewart - always a class act!

10 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Clark said...

That is so wonderful! I can only imagine how thrilled you must have been to receive that letter. :)

MC

4:16 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Wonderful! What a lovely surprise that must have been.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Robby Cress said...

James Stewart is one of my faves. What a treasure!

6:45 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

How wonderful!! That is truly a treasure.

8:11 PM  
Blogger KC said...

He always seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I'm sure he did sign it.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one word: Wow!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

He was such a class act, wasn't he?

3:19 AM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

I already knew you were awesome but you have just been elevated in my estimation. This is very neat!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Very cool! A friend gave me a copy of his book of poetry last year - had no idea he had the interest!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you *all* so much for the lovely comments, it was really fun being able to share this with people who appreciate it as I do! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older