Sunday, November 13, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Leonard Maltin gives the new Spencer Tracy biography by James Curtis an unqualified rave review, saying he didn't have "sufficient superlatives" to describe the book, concluding "This is the book Spencer Tracy deserves."

...I really enjoyed Cliff's analysis of ONE WAY PASSAGE (1932), starring William Powell and Kay Francis, here and here.

...Over at the Classic Film and TV Cafe, Caftan Woman wrote a lovely essay about TCM and the power of classic films to bridge gaps of language and age. Be sure to read it, you'll be glad you did.

...Ivan of Thrilling Days of Yesteryear guest blogs at Edward Copeland on Film, celebrating the 75th anniversary of THEODORA GOES WILD (1936).

...I loved Karen's post at Shadows and Satin listing favorite lesser-known film noir titles...fun stuff! I've seen four of them: NORA PRENTISS (1947), DESPERATE (1947), TENSION (1949), and THE LOCKET (1946). Adding her other titles to my "to watch" list!

...Dyan Cannon's book, DEAR CARY, received positive reviews at Classic Movie Moments and Sittin' on a Backyard Fence.

...This is unusual: a 70-minute 1995 interview with Steve Jobs will be playing a special engagement in theaters in 19 cities on November 16th and 17th. It's titled STEVE JOBS: THE LAST INTERVIEW.

...Lou Lumenick discusses the new Jean Harlow Boxed Set from Warner Archive.

...Kristina of Speakeasy is doing something new, linking to blog posts of interests on a Google + page. This is the first time I've taken a look at Google +! The page is regularly updated with lots of great links. (And a big thanks to Kristina for linking to this blog!) Bookmarking for regular visits. :)

...Region 2 DVD trends: I've noticed many Warner Archive titles have come out on Region 2 DVD this year under the banner The Hollywood Studio Collection. I assume they are pressed DVDs rather than DVD-Rs? Examples include EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944), BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (1956), and FIFTH AVENUE GIRL (1939). A number of films released in various Warner boxed sets, particular the film noir collections, are now also out on Region 2; for instance, THE NARROW MARGIN (1952) . And then there's a gem like Robert Mitchum's BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948) which has never had a U.S. DVD release in any format! (2020 Update: It took a while, but BLOOD ON THE MOON is now available from the Warner Archive on Blu-ray.)

...The Girl with the White Parasol has a nice photo-filled post titled "5 Movie Costumes I Love." I particularly enjoyed it as she included Susan's fur coat in SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957), which I just saw for the first time this weekend.

...When I was little many girls at my school had HERE COME THE BRIDES lunchboxes. For a short period of time, it was the popular show. Season 2 of the series, starring Joan Blondell, David Soul, and Bobby Sherman, comes to DVD next February 28th.

...Plans for next year's Academy Award ceremony were in turmoil last week, with both the producer and host leaving the production. It will be Billy Crystal to the rescue, as he hosts the Oscars for the first time since 2004.

...Last weekend I linked to the Lady Eve's post "A Chill in the Air - Part 1," which focused on REBECCA (1940). Part 2 covers another favorite, THE UNINVITED (1944).

...The New York Times celebrates the release of a new edition of the first four BETSY-TACY books by Maud Hart Lovelace...although I'm still trying to figure out the reference to "the woods of Wisconsin in 1964." Where's a proofreader when you need one?

...Speaking of books, Elswyth Thane's DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT, the first book in a series of seven -- my all-time favorite books ever -- is now available for the Kindle.

...Happy 2nd Bloggiversary to Monty at All Good Things and 8th Bloggiversary to Ivan at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear. Monty and Ivan are great guys who love classic films and have been good friends to this blog. Here's to many more years of blogging!

Have a great week!

13 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

Yeah, I was wondering about that in New York Times reference to 1964, too! It also said there is an annual B-T convention; as far as I know, this has never been a yearly thing. But I am really just nit-picking as I was extremely pleased and delighted with the article. It was wonderful to see the books getting mentioned in such a major news source!

I've heard great things about that series of books by Thane. I'll have to check them out sometimes.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're absolute right about the conventions, Audrey. But as you say it's great to see the books receiving publicity. Hopefully they'll continue to be discovered by new generations!

This serves as a good reminder to mention your brand-new site, the Betsy-Tacy Encyclopedia, where readers can enter a giveaway drawing for the BETSY-TACY TREASURY this week!

I have read the Thane books so many times I probably have parts memorized. They are the most beloved books I own, and I own plenty. :) Highly recommended!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:17 PM  
Blogger Page said...

Laura,
I enjoyed your roundup! I don't think I've ever watched Seven Brides and I had the Partridge Family lunchbox. : )
Page

7:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for visiting, Page! I had a Partridge Family lunchbox too (grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

9:55 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Laura, those Region 2 titles you mentioned are certainly pressed discs - I have a number of them myself. They're from Odeon who have a deal with Universal UK (who in turn control RKO titles in the UK) and the transfers are generally quite good. Blood on the Moon is about the same transfer as is available from France.

You also mentioned Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, which comes from relatively new label Exposure. They also put out While the City Sleeps and, just today, Secret Beyond the Door. Another UK label, Pegasus, have been releasing quality prints of Universal westerns lately - another licensing deal.

Bear in mind though, for US viewers, their equipment needs to be multi-region and capable of playing back/displaying PAL material.

Best,
Colin

1:09 AM  
Blogger kittenbiscuits said...

Thank you so much for linking to my review of Dear Cary!


Jill

9:28 AM  
Blogger Michele B. said...

A Thane book coming out for the Kindle is almost enough to get me to succumb and get one! I have Season One of HCTB - I had forgotten that the theme song wasn't originally used for the series. If you ever want to borrow it let me know.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for that very informative comment, Colin, I really appreciate all that info!

And you're very welcome, Jill!

Laura

7:17 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Michele, I've got a Kindle app and while I've never before paid for a book (only have public domain classics in it), it's very tempting to pay for that one and know I'm always carrying it around with me! :)

That's great to know about HCTB! One of these days I've got to take a look at that show, haven't seen it since I was little.

Will write soon!
Laura

7:19 PM  
Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

Thanks for the double-link to my One Way Passage coverage, Laura.

Also, big thanks for pointing out Kristina's Google+ account. I need more reasons to actually check my Google+, this looks like a good one!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, wow, I've never come across anyone else (outside of my family) who's read the Elswyth Thane books! My mom got me onto them when I was a historical-fiction loving kid, and I loved them so much. I haven't even though about them for years...I'm sure they're still on a shelf back at my parents house. I think I tracked down most of them at used book stores, after reading them from the library.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're welcome, Cliff, and so glad I could point you to Kristina's page. I know absolutely nothing about Google Plus (grin), but I love visiting Kristina's link page!

Jandy, it's always great to hear from another Thane fan! I highly recommend pulling the books out for a revisit. :) Aren't they wonderful? Besides my favorite Williamsburg Novels, TRYST is a particular favorite. (P.S. My oldest daughter is a USC grad.)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:56 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Thank you for the mention, Laura! :D

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older