Thursday, January 16, 2014

86th Annual Academy Award Nominations

The 86th annual Academy Award nominations were announced this morning.

The complete list is here.

I have to say I'm about as uninterested in this year's awards as I've ever been. As I wrote in my year-end review of last year's movies, I only saw three new films in all of 2013, and they were all Disney films.

Of those three films, FROZEN (2013) received a very deserved nomination for Best Animated Feature Film; if I had any say it would have had a Best Picture nomination. "Let It Go" was nominated and should win Best Song.

I was mildly surprised that Emma Thompson didn't receive an acting nomination for SAVING MR. BANKS (2013) but otherwise, while I found it enjoyable, it's not really what I would consider an Oscar-caliber film.

Disney's GET A HORSE! (2013) was remarkable and should win Best Animated Short.

Among films I haven't seen, I found it interesting that CAPTAIN PHILLIPS (2013) received a Best Picture nomination but nothing for director or actor -- my impression is that there isn't much of a movie without Tom Hanks in the title role.

Winners will be announced on March 2nd.

Previously: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. 2009 was such a bad year I didn't bother to comment!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Hi Laura. What was the other movie you saw in 2013?

I didn't see many in the theater last year, either. Gravity I enjoyed; it's sure to win some awards.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Tom!

The other Disney film I saw last year was MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (2013).

My daughter loved GRAVITY. Unfortunately, while I enjoy the actors, I wouldn't enjoy the storyline so I didn't check that one out.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older