Thursday, September 29, 2005

Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse

I was first introduced to Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse when reading 1,000 Places To See Before You Die -- it's listed as a must-experience restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. I haven't been there yet, but I hope to visit one day! I enjoy checking places off in the book as we visit :).

In the meantime, I came across Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse Cookbook in a bookstore last summer. It's a fascinating combination of Southern restaurant history and recipes.

Tonight I made the book's Country-Fried Steak and Cornbread Muffins. The steak was a big hit! After trying these muffins as well as some "skillet cornbread" from the March 2005 edition of Martha Stewart Living, which each used little or no sugar, our family has concluded that we like sweeter cornbread, so I'll be hunting for a cornbread recipe with some more sugar in it to try soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

It sounds wonderful! I loved your description, thank you! Makes me want to go there even more.

Last year I saw magazine photos of some of the beautiful old houses decorated for Christmas, really made me want to visit.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older