Saturday, January 28, 2006

Children's Book: Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening

My older son has studied this classic poem by Robert Frost this year as part of our homeschooling curriculum -- so when I recently happened across a review of a beautiful picture book version of the poem, I couldn't resist ordering it. My younger children still enjoy picture books, and as for me, I'm not sure I'll ever outgrow them!

The review can be found at the interesting site Semicolon, which regularly features news and reviews of children's books. To read the review, input the title in the search engine on the right side of Semicolon's homepage.

The book arrived today, and it's beautiful! I was especially taken with the translucent dust jacket which allows the snowy artwork on the book's cover to show through. A perfect way to introduce young children to this memorable poetry.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Laura: Thanks for the link to Semicolon- You are right, Semicolon is an interesting blog... large range of interests.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

So glad to know you enjoyed the site too, Cathy! Have a wonderful Sunday! Best wishes, Laura

10:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

A pleasure! I love children's lit and have been enjoying visiting your blog.

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a note! Best wishes, Laura

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children's illustration has gone 'from strength to strength' as the English would say. While children's writing has declined (and almost disappeared in terms of quality), the picture book has prospered. The last Book Wholesale store I visited was so dazzling choices were nearly impossible. One treasure is the story of 2 little girls capturing fireflies, done almost entirely against a nightscape! Then there are 'pop-ups' (the good ones) which are almost an art form in themselves; I know adults who collect them.

Let me recommend 2 books: One you may know: it is famous: Anno's Journey, by Mitsumasa Anno. A never ending tale of Europe. (He has also done a picture book for America.)

The second is a particularly beautiful 'picture book' of sorts we found at Borders: Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows," illustrated by Inga Moore. Moore's dreamy landscapes will enchant children and win over adults, especially if they happen to love the English countryside.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi jngrif, Thanks so much for your recommendations. I'm not familiar with either book and am saving your note so I can take a look at these titles. It's always great to make new book discoveries! Please visit again -- Best wishes, Laura

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, thanks for your kind comments. I enjoy the conversation.
Do you know http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?Nsl=%2D48692&Ix=0&R=0786803665B&Rt=4

A Michigan homeschooler regularly publishes a list of the best books from this site (if you are interested). I've ordered from BookCL at great prices, good packaging, and quick delivery! --for a wholesale supplier.

I've linked to a particularly beautiful lullaby about America. We read the book at our local library.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for the link to the site and the book. Both are new to me -- I've bookmarked for further exploration.

Best wishes, Laura

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older