Sunday, January 04, 2009

New Book: The Great Eight

Olympic gold medalist Scott Hamilton, one of my all-time favorite figure skaters, has co-written a new book, THE GREAT EIGHT: HOW TO BE HAPPY (EVEN WHEN YOU HAVE EVERY REASON TO BE MISERABLE). The book will be released this Tuesday, January 6th.

Hamilton is the survivor of both cancer and a brain tumor. On Christmas the L.A. Times ran a column by Helene Elliott titled "For Scott Hamilton, a Well-Lived Life is Compulsory."

Hamilton previously coauthored his autobiography, LANDING IT: MY LIFE ON AND OFF THE ICE.

For about a decade I annually attended Hamilton's STARS ON ICE show in Anaheim, which provided me with many happy memories. Hamilton was an amazing, ebullient showman and skater. I finally quit going when most of my favorite skaters, including Hamilton, had retired from the show.

3 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Two of my heroes are coincidentally named Scott Hamilton.

Scott Hamilton the skater, one of the best figure skaters that I have ever seen, was right when he voiced his opinion that it was wrong to eliminate the compulsory figures. They are just as important to figure skaters as scales are to musicians. I wish him well.

Which brings me to the second Scott Hamilton - one of the finest living tenor saxophonists in jazz. The music he plays is tasteful and swinging. If you ever get an opportunity to listen to any of his recordings, you fill find that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Mel!

Believe it or not I have a Christmas album with Scott Hamilton No. 2. My dad is a big jazz fan and passed it on to me. :) Good stuff.

Thanks for your note!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. I've long missed the retired Rosalyn Sumners who used to be such a regular in those shows.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older