Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Don't Fix It If It Ain't Broke...

For the last couple years our Time Warner Cable service has provided DVR service from Scientific Atlanta Passport which is intuitive and easy to use. I absolutely loved it.

Overnight Time Warner "upgraded" us to their new Navigator DVR system.

Without entirely recapitulating the two-page memo I wrote today listing the new service's deficiencies, I'll share I found that the Navigator is slower, more cumbersome, requires more clicks for many functions, has less information, is glitchy, and does not have "memory" of the last function you were working on which results in many extra clicks. The DVR menu also has the annoying habit of vanishing from the TV screen after only 15 seconds; per my previous comment about the DVR not remembering the last thing you were doing, if you were in the scheduling part of the menu, when you get the DVR menu back up you end up back on the list of saved shows.

I highly suspect the Navigator was a cost-cutting measure on the part of Time Warner, because it's certainly not providing better service.

In short, in my humble opinion the Navigator DVR is a piece of junk.

At least I found the four Stewart Granger movies I recorded from TCM last night, which overnight turned into pumpkins with "Unknown" titles which were labeled as "Adult" programming!

That is all.

September 2009 Update: After sticking out the Navigator for two months, we're switching to Verizon FiOS.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Not that I have this service (as you know, I don't have cable) but ... this kind of stuff just makes you want to scream!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

overnight turned into pumpkins with "Unknown" titles which were labeled as "Adult" programming!

Now that's funny!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Dana, Somehow I felt as though Stewart Granger would find it amusing that his movies were labeled with that designation. :) I was almost afraid to click on them in case more than Navigator had taken over my DVR during the night, and when I did look, I was very relieved to see good ol' Robert Osborne introducing the movies!

"Screaming" doesn't cover how I've been feeling about it, Irene (grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

10:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

P.S. Just to give a single example of one of the glitches that's annoying me the most: I can record all showings of SPECIAL REPORT WITH BRET BAIER, or the 1:00 a.m. showing only, but I *cannot* record only the 3:00 p.m. showing. Those are the only two choices the system allows me. If I set it to record "only new" episodes in an attempt to get 3:00 only, SPECIAL REPORT entirely disappears from my programs scheduled to record.

It will record at 3:00 p.m. if I go ahead and set it to record "all," but otherwise the DVR guide doesn't seem to know the 3:00 showing exists... Meanwhile I have to go through and manually delete all the 1:00 a.m. showings.

What was Time Warner thinking?!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older