Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Great TCM News

Looking ahead to April, word broke at the Turner Classic Movies message boards today that the April Star of the Month will be...


...Robert Taylor!

I'm delighted that TCM is going to focus fresh attention on this underrated actor's long career. I'll be posting more about this as April nears.

Tuesday Update: Ivan has an advance peek at the Taylor festival, which will consist of just under 60 titles, including a 24-hour marathon on April 13th. When 42 films were shown for Kay Francis Month in September 2008, that was said to be the most titles ever shown for a TCM Star of the Month. Looks like Mr. Taylor will be setting a new TCM record. (Update: Not quite a record -- I overlooked the fact that TCM just showed over 60 movies for Humphrey Bogart month in December!)

5 Comments:

Blogger panavia999 said...

Yes indeed - I am really looking forward to it. I have not seen enough of his films. Thanks for broadcasting the news.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, I'm just surprised it took TCM this long - I figured it was a given years & years ago. Here's to burning out the DVR!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Carrie! I have a list of TCM Stars of the Month through 2007 saved and Robert Taylor was the Star of the Month back in August 2001. So you're right! I'm not certain I had TCM back then, and if I did I wasn't yet paying attention to Mr. Taylor.

My DVR is ready to go!!!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:44 PM  
Blogger Linda J. Alexander said...

Indeed, this is fantastic news! We have fans on our Robert Taylor fansite who have been lobbying for this for a long time ... TCM has finally listened!

Thx for your wonderful blog, Laura. I know a lot of folks who stop by here to read what you have to say!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Isn't it wonderful, Linda?!

And thank you so much for your very kind words. Please keep us posted here on your forthcoming book on Jack Kelly. When it comes out I'd love to write a post so my readers will be aware of it.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older