Monday, April 05, 2010

Coming to DVD: Film Noir Classic Collection, Volume 5

The long wait will finally be over this summer: the Film Noir Classic Collection, Volume 5, is coming from Warner Home Video on July 13th.

Over a year ago we were told the set would be out "in a few months." It took a bit longer than that...and unfortunately, unlike the past volumes in the series, the only extras will be trailers. At this point, given the current state of the classic DVD market, I suspect we're lucky that Warner decided to release the set at all.

The good news is that the set will contain eight interesting films in remastered prints at an excellent price.

The titles:

CORNERED (1945) with Dick Powell

DEADLINE AT DAWN (1946) with Susan Hayward

DESPERATE (1947) directed by Anthony Mann

DIAL 1119 (1950) with an interesting cast including Andrea King, Sam Levene, and William Conrad

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY (1950) with Charles McGraw

BACKFIRE (1950) with Gordon MacRae (how interesting!) and Edmond O'Brien

THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955) directed by Phil Karlson, starring Richard Kiley

CRIME IN THE STREETS (1956) directed by Don Siegel, starring John Cassavetes

To date I've only seen DEADLINE AT DAWN, but I have recorded three others: CORNERED, DIAL 1119, and THE PHENIX CITY STORY. I expect I'll record over those tapes and wait to see the movies on the remastered DVDs.

Last month Clydefro listed ten titles he'd like to see in Volume 5; four of his suggestions made the set. We can only hope that more noir titles will someday be released in a Volume 6, rather than being relegated strictly to the Warner Archive. Hopefully film noir fans will support this release and help encourage Warner to keep the series going.

3 Comments:

Blogger Abe Lucas said...

"Armored Car Robbery" is among my all-time favorite Noir films! I've been waiting since the VHS era for a proper release! Great news!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Ed South said...

I don't know if you read Cartoon Brew or not...but I thought you would find this of interest:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/events/film-noir-cartoons-at-the-academy.html

5:05 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've never seen that one, C.K.! Glad to hear it's a good one.

Thanks very much, Ed, I hadn't seen that post. I'm going to have to look into the Academy series.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older