Saturday, May 07, 2011

Actress Dana Wynter Dies at 79

Actress Dana Wynter has passed away at the age of 79.

Wynter died in Ojai, California, on May 5th. The story was reported by the Ojai Valley News.

Although the majority of Wynter's work consisted of TV guest appearances over a span of decades, she appeared in a handful of '50s films, most notably the original version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956).

Wynter also starred with Robert Taylor in D-DAY THE SIXTH OF JUNE (1956), Robert Wagner in IN LOVE AND WAR (1958), and James Cagney in SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL (1959).

Later film appearances included AIRPORT (1970).

Wynter was married for nearly 25 years to well-known Hollywood attorney Greg Bautzer.

Update: More on Wynter's life and career has now been published by the Los Angeles Times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I remember she was very good in 'Shake Hands with the Devil', where she has a great scene confronting Cagney on an Irish beach. I don't think I've seen much more of her work, but sad to hear of her passing.

2:14 PM  
Blogger mel said...

I'm very sad to read this. She was a fine actress and, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful. I have a few movies in my collection with her - On The Double with Danny Kaye, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (the original version, 1956), and The List Of Adrian Messenger come immediately to mind.

To me, many movie actresses look quite similar and it's often difficult to tell one from another.

Dana Wynter was unique - no one looked remotely like her.

R.I.P.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your remembrances of Wynter's work, Judy and Mel. I'd especially like to see her in SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:23 PM  
Blogger Uncle Genie said...

I'm a tad late at nearly three years after this event, but I would also like to note Wynter's before-the-title billing in 1960's World War II epic, Sink the Bismarck! She plays a WREN (Women's Royal Naval Service) Second Officer assigned as to the Admiralty's op center.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older