Sunday, May 08, 2011

Today at Disney's California Adventure: Mother's Day

I enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day today! After church my oldest daughter and I went to California Adventure to spend a few hours walking around checking out the ongoing construction and enjoying the sunshine.

When we arrived at the park there were flowers handed out to the moms visiting today:



The Carthay Circle Theater near the entrance is rising:


Sunshine Plaza is now part of Yesterland!

We had just walked in the Off the Page store when I heard a male voice calling my name. I suddenly realized my nephew, who lives up north in Santa Barbara, was standing there! He was there with his wife, his sister, and his mom, my sister-in-law.

My niece, who's in a Ph.D. program at ASU, had flown in from Phoenix for Mother's Day weekend, and they'd made the drive down to the park this morning. It was great to have the unexpected chance to catch up a little.

We'll have two family members at college in Arizona next fall as our oldest son is going to be a Lumberjack at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff.

My sister-in-law and I both love Disney memorabilia and couldn't resist the ceramic version of a classic Disneyland paper cup of years past:


I plan to use it as a pencil holder on my desk.

What a lovely day on Paradise Pier!


From what we can see, the Little Mermaid building will be beautiful. I love that they saved the King Triton statue from Disneyland, which was removed when Pixie Hollow was built, and "repurposed" it for the Little Mermaid building.


The Little Mermaid ride and the remodeled Star Tours ride across the way at Disneyland open Memorial Day weekend, with Goofy's Sky School (formerly Mulholland Madness) opening just in time for the long Independence Day weekend.


The promise of things to come, seen as we left the Mickey and Friends parking structure:


I thought the other kids were staying home chiefly to study, including for this week's Advanced Placement test, but when we walked in the door at 5:00 the house was cleaned, there was a beautiful dinner on the table -- with two kinds of dessert! -- and the stereo was playing my favorite Sinatra, Cole, and Martin albums. My wonderful husband had done all the shopping, including buying everything needed for the kids to cook dinner and dessert. I'm a lucky mom and wife indeed.

Hope all my readers have enjoyed a wonderful day as well!

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

How nice to come home to such a lovely surprise!
I think going to DCA today was a very wise choice :))
Which shop did you find that cup in? I really like it!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene,

It's wonderful hearing from you! Hope you and yours are all well.

It was interesting, there was a *huge* line of cars heading for the hotels -- must have been for Mother's Day brunch! DCA was very nice, busy but not overly so.

The cup was in the Off the Page store in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area. It was funny how my SIL and I both zeroed in on it the minute we saw it. My husband was also quite taken with it when I showed it to him. Very nostalgic! Hope you can get one. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:35 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Thanks - that store has some nice things.
Over in Disneyland besides Mother's Day it was also "Bat's Day in the Park" when all the people who like to dress "Goth" show up. Interesting juxtaposition :)

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older