Monday, January 16, 2012

Coming to DVD: Joel McCrea Westerns Collection

Thanks to Toby of 50 Westerns From the 50s for spreading the good word that the Joel McCrea Westerns Collection will be out from the TCM Vault on April 2, 2012.

The four films in the set are THE VIRGINIAN (1946), CATTLE DRIVE (1951), BORDER RIVER (1954), and MUSTANG COUNTRY (1976).

News of any McCrea films coming to DVD is always welcome, although as Toby notes, the selections are a bit perplexing. For instance, THE VIRGINIAN, which I reviewed in 2010, was released just last year in the Universal Vault Collection. And MUSTANG COUNTRY jumps way ahead to McCrea's final film in the '70s.

BORDER RIVER, which I reviewed last year, and CATTLE DRIVE are both excellent choices for a DVD set.

Hopefully more McCrea films, including my personal favorite, SADDLE TRAMP (1950), will be coming in the future. In the meantime, this is a solid start, and as a McCrea fan, I'll want to own the set.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Deany said...

This is very good and exciting news. I agree the choices are odd, but I'm not complaining. I do hope a future set would include "Wells Fargo", which I don't think has been released on home video in any format. I'd love to see it some day.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older