Thursday, March 15, 2012

New on DVD: UPA Jolly Frolics Collection

There's a wonderful new release today from the TCM Vault, the UPA Jolly Frolics Collection.

This set of 38 cartoons includes the Oscar-winning GERALD MCBOING-BOING (1951) and Oscar-nominated MADELINE (1952).

My son's eyes lit up when I mentioned the set also includes James Mason narrating Poe's THE TELL-TALE HEART (1953), another Oscar nominee.

A complete list of titles, along with their original years of release, is here.

Leonard Maltin provides an introduction to the set, and Maltin also recorded audio commentary tracks along with animation historian Jerry Beck.

Extras include production art and a 16-page booklet.

This sounds like a "must" for any fans of classic animation.

Update: Scroll down to the end of this link roundup for information on a brand-new book on UPA animation.

Update: Leonard Maltin recently posted more information about the set and his involvement. It's now been reviewed by Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

My first thought was that I should get the set for my daughter who is studying art or my son, the cartoon savant. Well, nuts to that! I'm going to have to get it for me. Me! Me! Me!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Right there with you! LOL. I'm thinking of having a "family" gift along with the Easter baskets next month...

Best wishes,
Laura

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, nice. I love that Tell-Tale Heart short. My heart's pounding just like the narrator's by the end.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older