Sunday, January 26, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Wonderful news from the Warner Archive: The Dr. Kildare Movie Collection. The set contains nine films starting with YOUNG DR. KILDARE (1938) and ending with DR. KILDARE'S VICTORY (1942). Hopefully the six Dr. Gillespie films, which continued the series after Lew Ayres moved on, will be out in a future set! Van Johnson stars in four of the Gillespie films.

...Also coming from Warner Archive: Bill Elliott Detective Mysteries. Toby has more background info on these films at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...My latest post at ClassicFlix is a short biographical sketch and DVD recommendations for actress Linda Darnell.

...New releases from Fox Cinema Archives include Victor Mature in THE GLORY BRIGADE (1953) and frequent costars Robert Wagner and Jeffrey Hunter in IN LOVE AND WAR (1958).

...KC has a review up at Classic Movies of a recent book, WILLIAM WYLER: THE LIFE AND FILMS OF HOLLYWOOD'S MOST CELEBRATED DIRECTOR by Gabriel Miller.

...The Noir City festival opened in San Francisco last Friday and runs through February 2nd. Here's a look at some of the movies in the festival.

..Over at Happy Thoughts, Darling, MC has been enjoying getting to know the films of Deanna Durbin, including FIRST LOVE (1939) and BECAUSE OF HIM (1946).

...I love the cover of the new book LOS ANGELES'S BUNKER HILL: PULP FICTION'S MEAN STREETS AND FILM NOIR'S GROUND ZERO! by Jim Dawson. It's from the great trailer park location in the Dick Powell noir CRY DANGER (1951). Richard Harland Smith reviewed the book at TCM's Movie Morlocks site.

...Actress-singer Pam Dawber hasn't appeared on camera since a film released in 2000, but she will reunite with her MORK & MINDY costar Robin Williams in an episode of THE CRAZY ONES. For those who saw MORK & MINDY during its original run: it's a bit mind-blowing that Williams and Dawber are both now 62. Dawber has been married to Mark Harmon for the better park of three decades. In the '80s I was fortunate to see her on stage multiple times in productions of THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE and SHE LOVES ME.

...Glenn Erickson's latest reviews at DVD Savant include the Twilight Time 3-D Blu-ray release of MAN IN THE DARK (1953) and James Cagney and Loretta Young in the Warner Archive's TAXI! (1932).

...I recently discovered that the Cinderella musical THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE (1976) came out on Blu-ray in November. (There does not appear to have been a corresponding release on standard DVD.) Terence Towles Canote reviews the movie, which includes Margaret Lockwood as the Wicked Stepmother, for the Margaret Lockwood Society. This one's on my "buy" list! I have the LP of the soundtrack but somehow have never seen the movie itself.

...Greenbriar Picture Shows has some wonderful publicity photos for STAND BY FOR ACTION (1942) with Robert Taylor, Charles Laughton, and Brian Donlevy.

...There's another great discussion of Westerns taking place at Riding the High Country, where Colin has most recently reviewed Randolph Scott, Joan Leslie, and Ellen Drew in MAN IN THE SADDLE (1951). And don't miss Toby's birthday tribute to Scott at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...A few days ago I came across the Sony Choice "MOD" release of the 1984 TV miniseries THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII. I remember it being fairly interesting, particularly Linda Purl as a blind girl. The cast includes Lesley-Anne Down, Ernest Borgnine, Ned Beatty, Olivia Hussey, and Franco Nero, not to mention Sir Laurence Olivier.

...Judy of Movie Classics has been delving into the career of Frank Sinatra, including taking a look at SOME CAME RUNNING (1958), which I reviewed at the end of last year.

...Attention Southern Californians: Coming to the Egyptian Theatre on Thursday, February 6th: Nicholas Ray's JOHNNY GUITAR (1954) and IN A LONELY PLACE (1950).

...Notable Passings: Actress Sarah Marshall, the daughter of Herbert Marshall and Edna Best, has passed on at the age of 80. She had a number of Broadway credits, including a Tony Award nomination; her screen career included THE LONG, HOT SUMMER (1958) and many TV guest roles...Ed Hookstratten, lawyer and agent to TV and sports stars, has passed on at the age of 83. His first wife was actress Patricia (Pat) Crowley.

Have a great week!

10 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Clark said...

Thanks so much for the mention, Laura. I watched another Deanna Durbin movie this weekend - "That Certain Age" with Melvyn Douglas. I really enjoyed it and hope to write about it on the blog soon. :)

I don't have a Blu-ray player, but knowing "The Slipper and the Rose" is out only on Blu-ray makes me want to buy one. That movie has been on my wish list for a long time. Richard Chamberlain was so dreamy.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

So glad you enjoyed another Deanna movie, you are making great progress through her credits! I'm looking forward to reading your post.

You can imagine how thrilled I was when I realized Mr. Chamberlain was standing next to me at a UCLA screening last November, LOL! I loved him in CENTENNIAL and THE THORN BIRDS and am really looking forward to finally seeing THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

I remember when you wrote about that, Laura. I would've freaked out if I'd been that close to him. Father Ralph, after all! "The Thorn Birds" was such an obsession of mine during my teenage years.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear of William Wyler biography.
And what a double bill - JOHNNY GUITAR and IN A LONELY PLACE.

5:19 AM  
Blogger LĂȘ said...

So nic to har about Pam Dawber reuniting with Robin Williams, I love Mork and Mindy!
I read your great article on Linda Darnell. She is a personal favorite and I've enjoyed many of her films in th last months, especially Unfaithfully Yours.
Kisses!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

Just thought I'd pop back by to mention for those without Blu-ray players that "The Slipper and the Rose" is available for streaming on Amazon Prime! I know I'd checked for it before, so I'm guessing this is a fairly recent development. :)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again Laura for adding me to your round-up. Always very welcome, and always in such good company too.

Colin

1:33 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the hat tip Laura. I loved everything I reviewed from University Press of Kentucky last year--including that Wyler bio. Their books are always the ones I look forward to the most.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

MC, thanks so much for that great tip about THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE being available on Amazon Prime! Hopefully all the fans of Father Ralph and Alexander McKeag can check it out by one means or another. :)

Vienna, isn't that a great double bil1! There are so many great classic film opportunities here between now and April it's almost overwhelming, LOL. I've never seen JOHNNY GUITAR and really hope I can get up to L.A. that night.

Le, thank you for reading my Linda Darnell article and for the nice feedback. We share admiration for Linda!

Colin and KC, you're very welcome!

KC, I've read a number of books from Univ. Press of Mississippi but not so much from Kentucky -- hope to check out more in the future. The Maureen O'Hara book you wrote about looked interesting.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:18 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Laura, thank you for the mention and for this great selection of links.

I love Herbert Marshall, but haven't come across his daughter as far as I know - however, I have 'The Long Hot Summer' recorded, so will aim to put that right soon!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older