Saturday, July 05, 2014

Welcome to Lone Pine

Our vacation last week took us up the 395 to Bridgeport in the High Sierras, with stops in Mammoth, Bishop, and Lone Pine on the way home.

We did quite a bit of "movie location hunting" in both Bridgeport and Lone Pine's Alabama Hills, and we also stopped in for an extended visit to the Museum of Lone Pine Film History. As regular readers are doubtless aware, countless films, especially Westerns, have been filmed in Lone Pine.


I'll be sharing photos of the other parts of our trip in the near future, but first, here's a quick look at a fun aspect of Lone Pine: several streets around the movie museum are named for cowboy stars who spent much of their careers working in the Lone Pine area.

That "welcome" sign providing the backdrop to Gene Autry's street sign is at the town's McDonald's.


I was especially happy to find the street sign for one of my very favorite cowboy stars, Tim Holt:


Roy has his own road too...


...and so does Hoppy.


The Dow Villa Motel, located right on the 395, is an historic hotel dating from 1923; many film stars stayed at the Dow while filming in Lone Pine. My husband and I anticipate attending the Lone Pine Film Festival for the very first time this fall and plan to spend at least one night at the Dow.


The Alabama Hills Cafe was a Yelp find where we ate lunch before the last leg of our trip home. It's on Post Street just off Main Street (Highway 395). The vintage-looking sign alone made me want to check it out.


The place doesn't have a lot in the way of looks, including a floor which could kindly be described as having seen better years, but the restaurant was clean, the service was friendly, and the food was excellent. And we loved the huge drinking glasses! We'll be back. I'm looking forward to trying breakfast there next October.

Here's a review of the Alabama Hills Cafe by another blogger, and there are more reviews at Trip Advisor.


Coming soon: Some terrific location finds in Bridgeport and the Alabama Hills, plus our visit to the museum.

Updates: Alabama Hills Movie Locations and Bridgeport, California Movie Locations.

3 Comments:

Blogger panavia999 said...

Highway 395 is my favorite Highway. And I live along US 1 !
My best vacation ever is an autumn trip we took on 395 through Yosemite, then all the way to Washington state, travelling up the Columbia River and then crossing the Cascades to Puget Sound. Beautiful colors all the way.
Although I love to travel along the Eastern Sierra, I'm really tired of the same old Eastern Sierra views in westerns. I really look forward to Arizona or New Mexico locations.
I watched a Hopalong Cassidy movie marathon on FETV on July 4, and the Hoppy films stood out for the location photography, especially because the landscape was more often realistic cattle country and real ranches, not the same old views of the Alabama Hills.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to hear about your visits to Lone Pine which I long to visit some day.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks to you both! Panavia, the trip you took sounds wonderful. Vienna, I really hope you can visit one day!

I hope to have my next Lone Pine post up on Sunday.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older