Sunday, October 26, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...My recent trip to the Lone Pine Film Festival is the topic of my latest article at the ClassicFlix site, and I invite my readers to click on over and check it out!

...There are always interesting things going on at ClassicFlix, such as this enjoyable piece by Kendahl (KC) on "color film noir." There are a couple of titles on her list I still haven't seen! I also enjoyed Ivan Shreve's recent take on BETRAYED (1944) with Kim Hunter and Dean Jagger.

...KC also recently reviewed Olivia de Havilland in GOVERNMENT GIRL (1943) at her site A Classic Movie Blog, and her take was very much like mine -- it's an odd movie, although we each found it intriguing, in part because of de Havilland's seemingly uncomfortable performance.

...Coming soon from the TCM Vault Collection: ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS (1939) on DVD and Blu-ray. Also coming to Blu-ray from TCM: REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940), which has previously been released on DVD.

...Last week I shared Raquel's list of upcoming books on classic film at her blog Out of the Past. This week I'm sharing another great list she put together of books written by classic film bloggers. Both lists are great resources for those who love to read about classic movies.

...A few days ago I recorded THE STRANGER RETURNS (1933) on TCM; I'd missed the chance to see it at the TCM Classic Film Festival and look forward to catching up with this film which stars Miriam Hopkins, Franchot Tone, and Lionel Barrymore. This post by John McElwee of Greenbriar Picture Shows has me even more interested in seeing it.

...Coming in November from the Warner Archive: Jack Webb's PETE KELLY'S BLUES (1955) on Blu-ray.

...Last week Kristina had a beautiful gallery of Brenda Marshall photos at Speakeasy, some of which I'd never before seen.

...A new BEWITCHED pilot about Samantha's granddaughter?! No...just no. They tried it with Lisa Hartman in TABITHA in the '70s, let's not try again. BEWITCHED is a show I never tire of watching, thanks to Elizabeth Montgomery and its great cast, and I'll stick with it, thanks.

...At A Shroud of Thoughts Terry traces the history of the film ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944), which was not released for nearly three years after it was filmed. Cary Grant and Priscilla Lane starred, with Frank Capra directing.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed THE HUNTED (1948) starring Preston Foster and Belita; I liked it more than he did, but I was interested to read his take.

...At least for the moment, Dish Network has dropped TCM and other Turner stations. Will McKinley has the scoop at Cinematically Insane, including Dish viewers suddenly finding their TCM replaced by the Fox FXM network.

...This week's YouTube find: TIME TABLE (1956), directed by and starring Mark Stevens. As always, movies can disappear from YouTube at any moment so check it out soon if it's of interest!

...CBS plans to launch a classic TV digital subchannel.

...Attention Southern Californians: The first three Fridays of November at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art will be devoted to Edgar G. Ulmer. It's been an Ulmer year in the L.A. area, with HER SISTER'S SECRET (1946) screened at the TCM Classic Film Festival and BLUEBEARD (1944) shown at UCLA. I'm hoping I'll be able to see DETOUR (1945) and THE STRANGE WOMAN (1946) at LACMA on November 7th.

...Sincere condolences to TCM host Ben Mankiewicz and his family on the passing of Ben's father Frank Mankiewicz at the age of 90.

Have a great week!

3 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the links Laura. I was sad to hear about the passing of Frank Mankiewicz.Even with a long life that is well lived, I know it must be hard for his loved ones to say goodbye.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks for the link, Brenda was such a beauty. I cannot imagine losing TCM, I hope that gets resolved. Saw Timetable on youtube myself, check it out, it's a decent thriller. Best

9:43 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're so welcome, ladies! I appreciate you stopping by. :)

Thanks for your recommendation of TIME TABLE, Kristina!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older