Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival: Day Four

My Saturday at the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival began bright and early with a 9:00 a.m. digital screening of BAMBI (1942).


I wrote about BAMBI in my festival overview and will be writing more about it soon. In summary, though I approached seeing BAMBI for the very first time with some trepidation, it ended up being an abolutely wonderful experience!

Then it was on to Theater 4 where Eddie Muller and David Wyler (son of director William Wyler) introduced the pre-Code A HOUSE DIVIDED (1931), shown in 35mm.


I chose A HOUSE DIVIDED on the strength of the Wyler name -- I mean, did William Wyler ever make a bad movie?! -- and the fact it was a pre-Code being shown in 35mm.


Like many others at the festival, I found that A HOUSE DIVIDED packed a real punch in its 70 minutes, with Walter Huston increasingly terrifying as a very bad father and husband. The movie was shown as part of the festival's list of "Discoveries," and indeed it was. (Update: Please visit my full-length review of A HOUSE DIVIDED.)

Then it was on to the screening I was most looking forward to, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953), introduced by Oscar-winning special effects artists Ben Burtt and Craig Barron.


Their presentation was an absolute blast, including a demonstration of how the sound effects for the alien ships were achieved. The digital print of the film looked great.


Leading lady Ann Robinson answered a couple of questions from her seat in the audience, and it was announced that she would be greeting fans in the lobby after the movie. I was thrilled to take this photo of her! Ann also starred in a little George Montgomery Western I like, GUN DUEL IN DURANGO (1957).


After THE WAR OF THE WORLDS I reluctantly gave up on the idea of seeing Rita Moreno at THE KING AND I (1956); I was hungry so I opted for dinner and one of the first spots in line for one of my all-time favorite comedies, MIDNIGHT (1939), being shown in 35mm. Since MIDNIGHT was in Theater 4 I knew it would probably sell out, and indeed it did. Friends who were at THE KING AND I arrived at MIDNIGHT too late.


I also previously wrote a little about Bonnie Hunt's intro to MIDNIGHT. It was the model of what a "movie star" intro by someone with no relationship to the movie should be, relating its impact on her life in very personal terms and also demonstrating deep knowledge of the movie. (Keith Carradine, please take notes...) Bonnie's intro made experiencing a favorite film with an audience that much more special. And she stayed and watched it with us! Many around me were experiencing the movie for the first time, and I delighted in their reactions as much as the movie itself.


Today's roundup of festival coverage:

"TCM Delivers Once Again With 'Moving Pictures'" by Jill Blake at The Retro Set

"TCM Classic Film Festival 2016: One Last Look Back" by Daniel Levine at Movie Mania Madness

"Dame in the Game: Turner Classic Movies Festival Showcases Women" by Maureen Lenker at Ms. in the Biz

"Kicking Off TCMFF 2016" by Angela at The Hollywood Revue

"Dear TCMFF Fans and Staff" by Nikki at A Midwest Blog

"Who I Met, Who I Saw and My Thoughts on the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival" by Raquel at Out of the Past (plus her "TCMFF Book Haul" video!)

"2016 TCMFF Classic Film Festival: A House Divided (1931)" by Kristina at Speakeasy

"Pre-Code Crazy at the TCM Film Fest: Double Harness (1933)" by Karen at Shadows and Satin

"The 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival in Review, Days 1 and 2" by Kim at I See a Dark Theater

"TCMFF - Part 5" by Kate at Silents and Talkies

"TCMFF 2016 - Wednesday 27th April: Pre-festival Hollywood Hijinks" by Sabina Stent

"TCMFF 2016: Recap of Saturday, Day 3: Vitaphone, Reiner, Gould, Karina" by Lesley Gaspar at Second Sight Cinema

"Hollywood Days - The Turner Classic Film Festival 2016" by Jocelyn at Classic Film Observations and Obsessions

"Glamour and Grit: Gina Lollobrigida Reflects on Fame, Art, and Hard Work at TCMFF" by Nora at The Nitrate Diva

Be sure to also check out sites I've linked to in past roundups for additional coverage! Many bloggers have done multiple posts on their festival experiences. All 2016 daily recaps/coverage roundups are linked near the bottom of this main festival post.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the mention, Laura! Your post made me sorry that I didn't go see Midnight. I'd intended to -- primarily because I wanted to see Bonnie Hunt! -- but I took some Baja Fresh back to my room and once there, I decided to call it a night. (I must be getting old, LOL) Anyway, reading your coverage of it made me feel like I got a glimpse of it. :)

6:43 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks for the link! I agree about how great Bonnie Hunt was, that was a memorable and fitting intro. So glad I got a second shot at A House Divided on Sunday, turned out to be neat Walter Huston double feature!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older