Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Sad Farewell to Carrie Fisher

My daughter in Oregon just called with the news that Carrie Fisher has passed away.


It's not a surprise, as the initial reports of Carrie's medical situation sounded grim, but it's devastating news. She was such a huge part of my moviegoing life. I couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent with Carrie and STAR WARS. What joy she gave me, in so many unforgettable moments!


As I mentioned in my review, the most moving part of ROGUE ONE (2016) for me was sitting there 40 years later and watching the story circle around to the very beginning of STAR WARS and the plans being delivered to Princess Leia. It was an amazing moment.


As classic film fans we must regularly say farewell to the filmmakers who are important to us, and we accept it and move on, grateful for the work they leave behind. This passing, however, seems way too soon...and comes just as she was enjoying and embracing her iconic character in a whole new way.


She was in another film I love, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (1989), and she was also a gifted writer and "script doctor."


My thoughts are with her mother Debbie Reynolds, her daughter, and the rest of her family at this sad time.







Carrie Fisher and Princess Leia will be loved as long as movies exist.

December 28th Update: Debbie Reynolds, 1932-2016.

Also: A new video tribute, TCM Remembers Carrie Fisher.

December 29th Update: A Tribute to Debbie Reynolds.

2017 Update: A visit to Carrie and Debbie's final resting place at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just telling another friend today, I cried tears of joy when Leia was revealed in the final moment of Rogue One, and it just feels too soon to be crying tears of sorrow for her now.

12:08 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Such sad news. This complete tore me up. But this is a beautiful tribute to her. She will be missed.

12:09 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

I, too, am feeling so sad about this loss. Thank you for the thoughtful tribute to Carrie Fisher. I admired not only her acting but the way she faced her personal challenges with great wit and courage. Jane

10:31 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Despite the lack of truly optimistic news from the hospital, I was thoroughly convinced that Carrie Fisher would not be leaving us at this time. It is still difficult to believe.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all for taking a moment to share your thoughts on Carrie Fisher. Mark, I reacted the same way at the end of ROGUE ONE, and it does feel too soon.

Jane, I agree, both Carrie and her mom had many challenges in their lives along with great joys -- and they managed to keep on going despite the hard times.

Their work has enriched our lives tremendously -- and it's hard to think we will hear no more from either of them.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older