Sunday, March 05, 2017

All About Eve (1950): A Photo Gallery

This afternoon I went to a Fathom Events/TCM screening of ALL ABOUT EVE (1950) at my favorite local theater.

Every time I watch this movie it hits me anew how truly great it is. Every inch of it is perfection; the performances, the Joseph L. Mankiewicz dialogue -- and that fabulous Edith Head party dress! -- remain fresh and interesting after multiple viewings. I had a thoroughly grand time revisiting it today.

The movie has a dream cast. I think Margo Channing must be my all-time favorite Bette Davis performance; despite Margo's affectations, the character feels very real and true in a way that not all of Davis's interesting yet theatrical characters do. I find this rather notable in that she's playing a diva of an actress!

I especially like Margo and Bill's (Gary Merrill) mature, adult relationship, which doesn't feel quite like other screen romances of the era. Merrill's unhesitating turn-down of Eve's come-on, plus his dash to Margo's side after Addison's nasty article, both make him a true hero in my book.

Merrill and Davis married the year this film was released, but sadly they split after a decade of marriage.

Add in a cast with Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter, Hugh Marlowe, Marilyn Monroe, and Oscar-winning George Sanders, all at the top of their games, and you've got a slice of movie heaven.

I wrote about the movie very briefly back in 2006, just a few months after this blog started up. There weren't any illustrations to that post, so I thought I'd share a gallery of stills tonight to celebrate this marvelous film.














ALL ABOUT EVE is most highly recommended. It's available on DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, and Amazon Instant Video.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

How was the intro before the film? Thanks for the recap Laura!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Great movie! I watch it at least once every year!

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older