Tuesday, August 29, 2017

TCM Announces 2018 Festival Dates and Theme

Today Turner Classic Movies announced the dates and theme for the 2018 TCM Classic Film Festival!

The festival will be held in Hollywood from April 26th to 29th, 2018.

TCM posted a promo video on Twitter. I especially enjoyed seeing it as it features some of the friends I love spending time with at each festival!

The 2018 theme will be ""Powerful Words: The Page Onscreen," "celebrating the representation of the written word on the silver screen."

The festival website also says "From original screenplays to unique adaptations to portrayals of writers real and imagined, we will celebrate the foundation of great film: the written word."

The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel will again serve as festival headquarters and the location of Club TCM.

The prices for festival passes, which go on sale in November, are holding steady after increases for the 2017 festival.

The Classic pass, which many festival attendees consider the best deal, remains $649.

The Palace pass for the Egyptian and the "big" Chinese theater is $299; it also includes poolside screenings at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. The Essential pass, which includes the opening night Red Carpet Gala screening, is $799, and the ultra-deluxe Spotlight pass is $2,149. Please consult the festival website for additional pass details.

I've already booked my hotel room! Every year TCM seems to outdo itself; last year's festival saw improved access to rare films, which were often screened in the larger Eygyptian Theatre, plus the screening of four nitrate prints thanks to the Egyptian's recently installed nitrate projection booth.

I highly encourage anyone who's been thinking of attending the festival to make 2018 the year! Seeing beautiful prints in historic venues with other enthusiastic classic film fans is an unforgettable experience.

Please visit my overview of the 2017 Festival for a thorough look at the TCM Classic Film Festival experience. Links to my coverage of past TCM festivals may be found at the bottom of that post.

Those interested in attending will also want to monitor the festival website and the TCM Twitter feed.

And of course, as always, I'll be updating news on the festival as it's announced! Stay tuned for more information in the weeks and months to come.

Hope to see many of you in Hollywood next April!

October 2017 Update: TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements.

March 2018 Update: The Latest TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements.

April 2018 Update: The 2018 TCM Classic Film Festival Schedule.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I am seriously tempted to attend this. Maybe my bff and I can figure something out.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

Since other previous commitments (like Holy Week, Easter or my sister's wedding) don't conflict with the Festival, next year might be the one I can finally attend, too.

3:16 PM  
Blogger A Vintage Nerd said...

I have been trying to go since it started when I was pregnant with my son..whose 8 now. I want to go so badly but if I did I would do the big package and go all out but that would mean I would have to go alone. Gezzzzz lol

4:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all for your comments! I hope you can each visit. (Seth, it would be especially nice since we didn't get to say hello last month!) Vintage Nerd, I'd encourage you even if you have to go alone you will fine many kindred spirits at the festival!

Raquel has a good post on budgeting for the festival at her blog Out of the Past.

Best wishes,
Laura

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older