Thursday, March 29, 2018

Ida Lupino Tribute Coming to UCLA

The UCLA Film & Television Archive will honor actress-director Ida Lupino next month with a three-night, six-film tribute.

Lupino's centennial birthday was February 4th.

Hard, Fast and Beautiful: The Films of Ida Lupino will take place at UCLA's Billy Wilder Theater on April 6, 7, and 27, 2018. Each evening pairs one film Lupino directed with one in which she appeared onscreen -- or did both acting and directing.

The first evening features THE HARD WAY (1943), in which she starred with Joan Leslie, Dennis Morgan, and Jack Carson, with HARD, FAST AND BEAUTIFUL (1951). Lupino directed the latter film, starring Sally Forrest and Claire Trevor.

The following evening Mala Powers stars in OUTRAGE (1950), directed by Lupino. The second film on the double bill is THE BIGAMIST (1953), which Lupino starred in and also directed. Lupino's costars in THE BIGAMIST are Edmond O'Brien and Joan Fontaine.

The final night, on April 27th, features THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) and ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1951). Lupino memorably directed Edmond O'Brien, Frank Lovejoy, and William Tallman in THE HITCH-HIKER, and she costarred with Robert Ryan in ON DANGEROUS GROUND. Lupino directed the final scene of the latter film when director Nicholas Ray disapproved of the ending the studio wanted.

This is a terrific series, and I'm hoping to attend at least one of the first two nights of the tribute. The last evening overlaps with the TCM Classic Film Festival, but fortunately I've seen both of those films in a theater relatively recently. That's a highly recommended evening for Southern Californian classic film fans who don't already have plans in Hollywood.

Update: Here's my review of HARD, FAST AND BEAUTIFUL (1951), which also contains commentary on the similarly themed THE HARD WAY (1943), which I revisted for the first time since 2008. Please also visit a Photo Gallery I put together of stills from THE HARD WAY.

Update: Here are my reviews of OUTRAGE (1950) and THE BIGAMIST (1953).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I like Ida Lupino. She deserves every tribute for her work as an actress and director. When I was a youngster, the CBS affiliate Channel 3 WREC-TV showed many of Lupino's movies. THE BIGAMIST and THE HITCH-HIKER were shown on the "Early Movie" quite frequently in the 1960's and '70's. Those two movies stuck in my mind's eye for years afterward. Just think of all the action-packed, suspenseful movies she could have made, if she had been allowed by the powers that be in the movie industry.

Hopefully, in the future, a tribute to her writing and directing in television will be presented in some format.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Hi there, I just started my own Noir blog and have been stumbling on your fabulous blog quite often when researching a film. I see you also comment on Caftanwoman's blog and Maddy's film blog. I'd like to add your blog to my "blogs I like" list.

I'd simply love to see the UCLA Lupino tribute, but can't. But I will take part in the Ida Lupino blogathon hosted by Maddy. Are you going to take part too? Would be great.

Keep up the good work,
Margot

10:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for your comments, Walter -- as someone who also first "met" many films on local TV it's fun to hear similar memories. I don't think I saw any Ida Lupino films myself when growing up except for the ending of HIGH SIERRA which has also stuck with me. (I need to make myself watch the whole thing!) It really is interesting to contemplate "what might have been" if she had done even more films.

Thank you so much for saying hello, Margot, and for letting us know about your blog which I have bookmarked! I'd be delighted to be on your list, thank you! I'm delighted you've been enjoying visiting and hope you'll return.

Thanks for calling my attention to the Ida Lupino Blogathon. Not certain I can participate as it falls the weekend of the third film festival I plan to attend in a month's time, but I have made a note to mention it on my blog in a future link roundup so that more film fans will hear about it.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:20 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Laura,
I put you on my list. I'll definitively stop by on a regular basis.
Margot

9:43 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Great! I added both you and Maddy to my blogroll late last night!

I'll have lots of film noir coverage here in April thanks to Noir City Hollywood!

Thanks and best wishes,
Laura

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older