Friday, November 23, 2018

Tonight's Movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

Six years ago this month saw the release of Disney's WRECK-IT RALPH (2012), a TOY STORY-esque film about the secret life of video game characters.

As I wrote at the time, I liked but didn't love the film for various reasons. Today I saw the sequel, RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET (2018), and I'm pleased to say it's a sequel which is a marked improvement over the original. I found it quite delightful.

The action takes place a half-dozen years after the original movie. The steering wheel on the Sugar Rush arcade game breaks, so Ralph (John C. Reilly) and Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) decide to visit the internet via the arcade's newly installed wifi router. They're in search of eBay and a vintage replacement wheel so that the aging Sugar Rush game won't be shut down permanently.

The majority of the film is set in the magical world of the internet, and it's as clever and crazy as one could wish. There are stops at places such as Pinterest and Amazon, and GeoCities and dial-up litter a graveyard of sorts. Vanellope's encounter with a host of Disney princesses at the Oh My Disney site is as funny as expected from previews, and the princesses return to pitch in during the movie's climactic battle.

It must have been great fun dreaming up this film and all the places the characters could visit; it's certainly fun to watch it! There's so much eye candy filling the screen that I suspect viewers will be discovering new things to look at on a second, third, or fourth viewing.

There was a certain tackiness to the earlier film, particularly potty language and humor, which is largely missing here. It's a better, more family-friendly story, and while the original film was creative, RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET expands on that world and takes it to new levels. I had a very good time watching it.

The voice cast includes Alan Tudyk, Jane Lynch, Gal Gadot, Taraji P. Henson, Jack McBrayer, Ed O'Neill, and Alfred Molina.

Original princess voices appearing in the film include Jodi Benson, Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Linda Larkin, Mandy Moore, Paige O'Hara, Auli'i Cravalho, Irene Bedard, Ming-Na Wen, and Anika Noni Rose. Snow White, Aurora, and Cinderella are voiced by Pamela Ribon, Kate Higgins, and Jennifer Hale, respectively.

RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET was directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston. The running time is 112 minutes.

Parental Advisory: This film is rated PG. There is a tiny bit of crass humor but, as mentioned, it's much less of an issue than it was in WRECK-IT RALPH.

A trailer is here.

2 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Got to see this yesterday, and the depiction of the internet is brilliant. Absolutely loved everything there. I'm sure there are so many things to see in those shots that I'll need to pause the dvd to take in everything. I also do like that it moved the story forward, didn't try to recreate anything, and I liked the new characters. But that said, I prefer the first one, mostly because I laugh all through the first one, and this one was so much more serious. And also, my favorite part of the first one is Calhoun and Felix, and with them sidelined... it wasn't nearly so much fun on the ride. Those two are the reason I watch the first one. But it's so very well done, and these are just personal things that really have nothing to do with the quality of the movie. Loved the princesses and the Star Wars stuff, of course. That was also really well done!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Deb! I'm so glad you got to check this out! Wasn't the internet depiction clever? I definitely plan to do some freeze-framing when I watch it at home in the future. :)

Very interested in your preference for the previous film and the reasons why -- I was quite amused by Felix and Calhoun in this. I didn't mention the Star Wars moments in my review and you're right, that was great too! A really creative film.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older