Saturday, April 18, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Coming in September from University Press of Mississippi: HOLLYWOOD HATES HITLER! JEW-BAITING, ANTI-NAZISM, AND THE SENATE INVESTIGATION INTO WARMONGERING IN MOTION PICTURES. It's by my friend Chris Yogerst, who previously wrote FROM THE HEADLINES TO HOLLYWOOD: THE BIRTH AND BOOM OF WARNER BROS. This look at the 1941 Senate investigation, which was one might say was ultimately rendered moot by Pearl Harbor, should be fascinating.

...Here's a February article I just came across on the great film historian Jeanine Basinger. I'm currently reading her book THE MOVIE MUSICAL! which is as good as one might expect from Basinger.

...This weekend I rewatched DRAFT DAY (2014) for the first time since I saw and reviewed it in 2014. What an extremely enjoyable movie! I love how it takes what one might expect to be the climax, Kevin Costner's choice of his team's No. 1 draft pick, and makes that just the start of an exciting extended sequence of wheeling and dealing. The movie is available on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as streaming rental from Amazon.

...Terry Teachout of the Wall Street Journal excerpts his new column on Frank Sinatra as a conductor at his blog About Last Night.

...Time Magazine published an excellent list of '30s classic film comfort viewing with beautiful illustrations.

...Here's Leonard Maltin on new classic film releases.

...The Self-Styled Siren, Farran Smith Nehme, has written an article on Zachary Scott for the latest Noir City e-magazine. Details at her site.

...CineSavant Glenn Erickson calls Buster Keaton's OUR HOSPITALITY (1923) "a little masterpiece." It's available on Blu-ray and DVD from Kino Lorber, and it's in my "watch" stack!

...Coming to Disney+ on May 4th: DISNEY GALLERY: THE MANDALORIAN, an eight-episode documentary on the creation of Disney's superb STAR WARS series, which I reviewed last November.

...This week San Diego Comic Con announced it will not take place this July. I have a feeling my first-ever visit to Star Wars Celebration won't take place in Anaheim this August, but we can hope.

...Cinemark hopes to reopen its theaters approximately July 1st.

...The good news just keeps coming from Kino Lorber, which this past week announced FILM NOIR: THE DARK SIDE OF CINEMA IV, releasing in July. This follows sets II and III, releasing in May and June, respectively. Vol. IV will feature Alan Ladd and Gail Russell in CALCUTTA (1947), Fredric March and Edmond O'Brien in AN ACT OF MURDER (1948), and Tony Curtis and Julie Adams in SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS (1955). I'm especially excited about CALCUTTA, a terrific film I've seen twice on a big screen, which was never released on DVD, and SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS, also new to DVD. Details on Vol. II are in my February 22nd roundup, while the Vol. III info can be found in the March 21st roundup.

...And here's some great July news from the Criterion Collection: They're releasing THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953), complete with a special effects presentation by Ben Burtt and Craig Barron. I saw their talk on the film at the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival -- and met Ann Robinson after the movie! (Photo of Ann here.)

...Classic Movie Ramblings reviews NAKED ALIBI (1954), an enjoyable film I most recently reviewed here. Gloria Grahame and Sterling Hayden star, along with a very disturbed Gene Barry.

...Remembering actress Barbara Hale today, born on April 18, 1922.

...Notable Passings: The terrific character actor Brian Dennehy (seen at right) has sadly passed on at 81. His work over many decades included voicing Django in Disney/Pixar's RATATOUILLE (2007)...Cinematographer Allen Daviau, who recorded such beautiful images for his Oscar-nominated work on E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL (1982), has died at 77...Singer Betty Bennett, the first wife of Andre Previn, has died at 98. Marc Myers has lots of photos and recordings in his tribute at JazzWax...Animator Ann Sullivan, a longtime Disney employee, has passed on at 91.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my April 11th roundup.

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Ooh, I haven't seen Calcutta. That will be a treat.

An Act of Murder was a favourite of my late father's. I love Florence Eldridge's performance.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

So much to digest. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date with everything.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm pretty sure you're going to really enjoy CALCUTTA, Caftan Woman! AN ACT OF MURDER was good but a little hard to watch -- I do find that sometimes the second time is better, when I know what to expect, so I'll probably watch this new release. Love the cast.

You're very welcome, Vienna, and thank you for reading!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:19 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

I'm super excited for WAR OF THE WORLDS ; THE LADY EVE is also finally getting a Blu-ray release. Hopefully, Barnes & Noble continues its July Criterion sale.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Seth! Yes, I'm especially excited about WAR OF THE WORLDS since I don't own it in any format; last time I watched it was a borrowed copy.

I do have Criterion's DVD release of THE LADY EVE so that one didn't catch my eye as much, but I need to sit down and compare the extras. Once in a while Criterion tempts me to upgrade! (Most recently: HOLIDAY, thanks to its inclusion of the first sound version, and SWING TIME, just because I love the movie.) Let's cross our fingers for that half price sale. I also want to get the newly released DESTRY RIDES AGAIN and SHOW BOAT (1936)!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older