Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Happiest Birthday Wishes to Jane Powell

Happiest 91st birthday wishes to Jane Powell!


Powell was born on April 1, 1929, in Portland, Oregon.


Her films and soundtrack recordings, including my favorite SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954), have brought me untold happy hours over the years.


I've also been fortunate to see Powell in person more than once; in the late '70s I saw Powell and her SEVEN BRIDES costar Howard Keel in a stage production of SOUTH PACIFIC at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. They're seen together above in a photo from SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS.

Around the time of SOUTH PACIFIC I also saw her speak at a USC course on musicals my parents audited in the late '70s. Below is the autograph she gave me on that occasion:


Click on the above photo to enlarge it for a closer look.


Happiest birthday wishes to a marvelous performer whose work has enriched my life!





Previously: 2015 Birthday Tribute.

Jane Powell films previously reviewed at Laura's Miscellaneous Musings: THREE DARING DAUGHTERS (1948), A DATE WITH JUDY (1948), TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE (1950), NANCY GOES TO RIO (1950), RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY (1951), SMALL TOWN GIRL (1953), DEEP IN MY HEART (1954), HIT THE DECK (1955), and THE GIRL MOST LIKELY (1958).

Update: Here's a review of THE FEMALE ANIMAL (1958) in which Jane costarred with Hedy Lamarr.

Update: Here's a review of ATHENA (1954).

September 17, 2021 Update: Farewell to Jane Powell.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

Jane has such a beautiful voice. One song I love listening to is “Mind if I make Love to You”.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes! Such a lovely voice. I treasure all the MGM LP's I collected (and listened to over and over) growing up. The songs from TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE are big favorites for me.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older