Saturday, August 01, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Coming this fall from Kino Lorber: OUTSIDE THE LAW (1920), a silent film I saw at Cinecon in 2018, and CURSE OF THE UNDEAD (1959), which I've seen described as a Western vampire movie. OUTSIDE THE LAW stars Lon Chaney and Priscilla Dean, while Michael Pate and Kathleen Crowley star in CURSE OF THE UNDEAD. Both films come with commentary tracks.

...A documentary on favorite author Laura Ingalls Wilder is coming to AMERICAN MASTERS at year end. It will include some knowledgeable people including longtime Wilder biographer William Anderson; hopefully the program won't have too much in the way of the politically correct critiques with which some people now view the beloved books, but I won't hold my breath on that.

...New from the U.S. Postal Service: Bugs Bunny stamps.

...Last week the Cartoon Research site celebrated the 69th anniversary of the premiere of Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND (1951) with articles by Greg Ehrbar on ALICE record albums and Jim Korkis on the ALICE IN WONDERLAND Disney never made.

...As mentioned here last year, a remake of REBECCA (1940) is in the works for Netflix starring Armie Hammer (THE SOCIAL NETWORK) and Lily James (CINDERELLA, DARKEST HOUR). It's now due to arrive in October; photos are at SlashFilm.

...Last month I linked to a review of a revised edition of the book ROBERT WISE: THE MOTION PICTURES by J.R. Jordan. Since I love many of Wise's films, here's a second review of the book, by my friend Andy Wolverton at Journeys in Darkness and Light. I'm quite intrigued by his description of the chapter on THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (1951) and think I'm going to need to put this book on my "to buy" list.

...The trailer for Liam Neeson's upcoming HONEST THIEF (2020) left me with a huge longing to be in a movie theater again, enjoying a bag of popcorn and some pure escapism. I loved Neeson's PG-13 action films such as NON-STOP (2014) and THE COMMUTER (2018). HONEST THIEF, costarring Kate Walsh, is due out in late October; we'll cross our fingers the release happens then, as nothing is certain in 2020...Speaking of that, NATO (the National Association of Theatre Owners) is lobbying Congress for assistance to survive the pandemic. What a year. In related news, Universal Pictures and AMC Theaters cut a deal shortening the "window" from theatrical exhibition to pay-on-demand from three months to just three weeks!

...Coming to Blu-ray later this month from the Warner Archive: THE BIG PARADE (1925), starring John Gilbert, directed by King Vidor and George W. Hill.

...Vanessa Buttino has reviewed the book MGM STYLE: CEDRIC GIBBONS AND THE ART OF HOLLYWOOD by Howard Gutner at her site Super Veebs. I have this book but haven't read it yet; the photos look amazing.

...Here's a roundup of reviews from Raquel Stecher's annual classic film book Summer Reading Challenge at her blog Out of the Past.

...Sunday at 1:00 p.m. PT Karie Bible and Ann Dvorak biographer Christina Rice will team up to cook a Dvorak recipe in a new installment of Karie's "Hollywood Kitchen" on Facebook.

...Leonard Maltin remembers the late, great Olivia de Havilland, who passed on last weekend at the age of 104. I also really liked "Be Like Melanie Wilkes" by Kyle Smith for National Review, remembering both the actress and her most famous role. This is so true, now more than ever: "Melanie’s consistent generosity and refusal to define people by their worst moments is a model for us all"...The TCM Remembers video tribute is available on YouTube.

...Notable Passings: John Saxon has died at the age of 83. He was a busy working actor for decades; last month I reviewed him in THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE (1958), seen here with costar Sandra Dee...Jacqueline Scott, who had a brief but memorable role as Walter Matthau's wife in CHARLEY VARRICK (1973), has passed away at 89. Her extensive TV work included multiple episodes of HAVE GUN - WILL TRAVEL and GUNSMOKE...Sonia Darrin, who played Agnes Lozelle in THE BIG SLEEP (1946), has died at 96. Her son, former child actor Mason Reese, says she continued to receive fan mail due to her small role in the classic.

...There will not be a link roundup next Saturday due to a busy schedule. Around the Blogosphere This Week will resume on August 15th.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my July 25th roundup.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa Buttino said...

I remember The Big Parade coming out on blu-ray a few years ago, but it must have been released by another studio. I guess Warner Archive now has the distribution rights to it. Yup, I just looked up the original blu-ray release - it was put out by Turner Home Entertainment.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, sad to read about the death of the lovely and wonderfully talented actress Jacqueline Scott. She was good in any role she portrayed. I really liked her presence and she made any movie and TV show she was in better.

JACQUELINE SCOTT R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBdhhasEgI

https://www.classicfilmtvcafe.com/2016/03/jacqueline-scott-interview.html



















5:45 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

A remake of REBECCA? Why?! It happens that I just picked up my copy from Barnes & Noble today; I had to split my order between shipping and store pick-up, but I also managed to get hold of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS....

To remember Olivia de Havilland at last Sunday's movie night, we watched THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. I've been wanting to put on GONE WITH THE WIND for some time now, but that takes some planning.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the info that there was an earlier Blu-ray of THE BIG PARADE, Vanessa! I wasn't aware of that.

Thank you for sharing your memories of Jacqueline Scott, Walter, and these nice links. I really enjoyed the interview with her at Classic Film & TV Cafe.

Seth, I'm dubious about a remake of REBECCA, although having really enjoyed an earlier TV remake with Jeremy Brett I'm keeping an open mind. I tend not to mind remakes of great literary properties like that, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, or LITTLE WOMEN so much as it's interesting to see what different filmmakers bring to a familiar story. But certainly the Hitchcock version is perfection!! (And all that said, these days filmmakers rely far too much on remakes.) I'm glad you were able to get that and WAR OF THE WORLDS!

That's lovely you celebrated Olivia de Havilland with ROBIN HOOD -- one of the greatest movies ever made as far as I'm concerned. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older