Saturday, January 23, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Happiest birthday wishes to Piper Laurie, seen here, who turned 89 on Friday, January 22nd, and to Audrey Dalton, who turned 87 on the 21st.

...Here's a rundown on February film noir releases from Andy Wolverton.  The list includes THE SUSPECT (1944) and SO EVIL MY LOVE (1948), both coming to Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics.

...The release of the next James Bond movie, NO TIME TO DIE (2021), has been delayed from April 2021 to October 8, 2021.

...Coming from Kino Lorber in May: HORIZONS WEST (1952) and QUANTEZ (1957), both with commentary tracks by Toby Roan of 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...Also coming from Kino Lorber in May: TANK (1984), starring James Garner.  I saw it when it came out but confess I recall very little about it.  It will feature a commentary by Bryan Reesman.

...Long Beach's Queen Mary has filed for bankruptcy.

...Pixar's SOUL (2020) has been a big hit for Disney+ in the streaming ratings.

...Coming soon to Disney+: THE MUPPET SHOW (1976-81).

...Speaking of Disney+, I thought the first two episodes of Marvel's WANDAVISION (2021), starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, were excellent. They really nailed the takes on '60s classic comedies such as THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and BEWITCHED. The show merits a close watch, as at least in the early going it's quite a mystery; the episodes are so short that I rewatched them this week and noticed additional things of interest. 

...The Hollywood Reporter ran a story a few days ago on Kimberly Truhler's new book FILM NOIR STYLE: THE KILLER 1940s.  Looking forward to getting it soon!

...Actress-Singer Mary Costa, the voice of Princess Aurora in SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959), was recently honored at the White House with the National Medal of Arts.

..."Coming Soon" from VCI: A remastered print of THE GREEN PROMISE (1949) starring Walter Brennan, Marguerite Chapman, Natalie Wood, and Robert Paige.

...I'm excited about the new Warner Archive Blu-ray of THE PAJAMA GAME 1957) after reading Glenn Erickson's CineSavant review.  Also of interest at Glenn's site, a new review by Charlie Largent of Kino Lorber's release of THE KISS BEFORE THE MIRROR (1933): "Kino has worked a small miracle...to produce one of the most beautiful black and white Blu-ray presentations of the pre-code era."

...Here's a nice New Year's tribute to Eddie Muller at Vienna's Classic Hollywood. Speaking of Eddie, it was fun to hear his "shout-out" a few minutes into his latest installment of "Ask Eddie," available on YouTube.

...Notable Passing: Disney animator Dale Baer has died at the age of 70. Walt Disney Animation issued a statement on his passing.  Baer worked on a great many Disney feature films, beginning with ROBIN HOOD (1973), as well as on outstanding shorts such as GET A HORSE! (2013) and FEAST (2014).

...More Notable Passings: It's been sad to have many baseball greats pass away in recent weeks and months.  Last week saw the passing of one of the Dodgers' all-time great pitchers, Don Sutton, and Friday we learned of the death of the great home run king, Hank Aaron. On Twitter Vin Scully shared his call of Aaron's historic moment.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my January 16th roundup.


9 Comments:

Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, thank you for keeping us informed of what is out there. Also, I would like to inform you and anyone else that is interested, that Jeff Arnold has returned to the Blogosphere. If you like Western Movies and Western History take a look-see at his wonderful new write-up's, of which can now be found here: https://www.jeffarnoldswest.com/post/howdy

Best,
Walter S.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I am so pleased that all 5 seasons of The Muppet Show will soon be on Disney +.

I have been watching WandaVision - and I love it! Of course I'm a child of the old TV sitcoms going back to I Love Lucy so seeing what a great job they have done on these has been a treat. Now, that being said - I am pretty good with the Marvel Universe when it comes to the movies but not so much when it comes to the comic books. As it turns out this series and it's mystery is much more linked to the comic books. So Google search has been my friend when it comes to understanding what the heck is going on! I love to read the easter eggs, the various articles about how this relates to the comic book story of Wanda and Vision and even an article that shows the studio town where this was shot and how they dressed the homes showing before and after photos. This weeks 3rd episode has really begun to take us to a darker place and has broken through the 4th wall. I'm so looking forward to where this story is going.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Walter, thank you so much!! What great news about Jeff Arnold. I will add Jeff's new address to my blogroll soon. That is wonderful to hear. I will be catching up on reading his new site very soon as well.

Irene, I agree, before I rewatched the first two WANDAVISION episodes I read a couple articles explaining some of the "Easter eggs" that are related to the comic books. That helped me get a lot more out of the shows the second time through. Glad you are on the same page in that regard! Will be watching Episode 3 tonight. This is a bit like watching a serial, isn't it? Very excited to see "what happens next."

Best wishes,
Laura

4:53 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Thanks so much, Laura for the shout-out for my post on Eddie Muller. I’m glad here in the U.K. we can watch ‘Ask Eddie’ which is so interesting. I look forward to Eddie’s updated “Dark City” book, due mid year.
It’s great to see all the new blu Ray releases.
Sorry to hear about the Queen Mary. Built here in Scotland, I remember fondly my trip to Long Beach many years ago to see it.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad you can watch the Ask Eddie chats, Vienna, that's great.

DARK CITY was probably the first book I owned on film noir, thanks to my dad. It was great to have Eddie sign my copy a few years ago.

How wonderful that you visited the Queen Mary! Years ago I used to work on Ocean Boulevard in Long Beach, just a couple minutes' drive from it.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:58 AM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

I was sure I'd seen SO EVIL MY LOVE but glancing at the IMDb entry the plot doesn't sound familiar at all. So it seems I haven't seen it. And it's a costume noir with an 1890s setting, and they can be interesting. I mighty have to add this one to the shopping list.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

SO EVIL MY LOVE is sort of a costumed "thrill ride" movie -- definitely interesting, but once on the ride was probably enough for me LOL. Hope you enjoy it if you check it out!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:39 PM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited that The Muppet Show is coming to Disney+!!! We were just looking for it on DVD the other day because my kids would love it. What fun!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Rachel, I'm delighted that I could share that good news on THE MUPPET SHOW and hope you and your family enjoy watching it on Disney+!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older