Saturday, January 27, 2024

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I'm very happy to report that SUBMARINE COMMAND (1951), which has never been released on VHS or DVD, will be coming to Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics. It's an enjoyable film which is one of four movies teaming William Holden and Nancy Olson. There's a great supporting cast including William Bendix, Don Taylor, and Jack Kelly. I saw it back in 2009 thanks to a rare showing on Turner Classic Movies. Last fall it was shown at the Cinecon Festival. This is wonderful news!

...Coming to Blu-ray from Arrow in April: Anthony Mann's THE TIN STAR (1957). Toby Roan has more at his site 50 Westerns From the 50s, where he reports he did the commentary track!

...Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on March 12th: Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Vol. 3. The first two volumes have been great; I reviewed Vol. 2 earlier this month.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed a Kino Lorber/Cohen Film Collection set with a pair of British sea films, THE SEA SHALL NOT HAVE THEM (1954) and ALBERT R.N. (1953), also known in the U.S. as BREAK TO FREEDOM.

...Exciting Turner Classic Movies news: Next year Daniel Raim's upcoming documentary THE OZU DIARIES (2024), about director Yasujiro Ozu, will be shown on the network. Raim also made a shorter documentary on Ozu which I really enjoyed, IN SEARCH OF OZU (2018).

...Over the past week I've revisited two older films directed by George Clooney, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. (2005) and THE IDES OF MARCH (2011). I found them both highly entertaining, as I did when I reviewed them near the time of first release. It was particularly fun to see a young Robert Downey Jr. in GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. and Ryan Gosling in THE IDES OF MARCH; both are among this year's Academy Award nominees for Best Supporting Actor, for OPPENHEIMER (2023) and BARBIE (2023), respectively.

...Leonard Maltin discusses theatrical screenings in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

...Colin's latest review at Riding the High Country is of THE WILD NORTH (1952) starring Stewart Granger, Wendell Corey, and Cyd Charisse.

...FERRARI (2022) will be released on Blu-ray on March 12th. I thoroughly enjoyed it a few days ago and recommend it.

...Notable Passings: Director Norman Jewison has passed away at 97. I've seen his film FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (1971) numerous times over the years, and a couple years ago I enjoyed him in the documentary FIDDLER'S JOURNEY TO THE BIG SCREEN (2022)...Prolific TV director Rod Holcomb, who I first knew from his work on the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978-79) series, has passed on at 80...British composer Laurie Johnson, known for his work on TV's THE AVENGERS, has died at 96.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please visit my January 20th column.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Barry Lane said...

I have just reread your review of Good Night and Good Luck. I hoped and should have known it would be right up my alley, the film possibly, but your comments definitively. Thumbs way up.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older