Saturday, April 06, 2024

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Kino Lorber's "March Madness" sale runs through April 22, 2024. Lots of great discs at good prices! Many of the titles have been reviewed here; use the search box at the upper left corner of this page to check for reviews.

...Variety has a nice article on historic cinemas being saved. I was intrigued by the mention of the Palm Springs Plaza Theatre. I've been to Palm Springs numerous times but was unfamiliar with it.

...A region-free Blu-ray release from Screenbound Pictures later this month: THE GREEN COCKATOO (1937) with John Mills and Robert Newton. It's also known by the title FOUR DARK HOURS. Thanks to reader Ashley for the information.

...I enjoyed this article with memories of Tower Records. I loved shopping there...even in London!

...The Guardian recently ran an article on the importance of physical media.

...Coming for fall cookbook season: 100 AFTERNOON SWEETS by Sarah Kieffer, author of 100 COOKIES and other great baking books.

...There are lots of interesting recent classic film reviews, starting with Colin reviewing NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950) at Riding the High Country...Toby was wowed by the new Warner Archive Blu-ray release of 3 GODFATHERS (1949) and shares some thoughts at 50 Westerns from the 50s...Glenn Erickson's latest reviews at Trailers From Hell include ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY (1941), aka THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, for the Criterion Collection and THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940) for the Warner Archive Collection...At Speakeasy Kristina has reviewed films directed by Fred F. Sears, including one I enjoyed, CHICAGO SYNDICATE (1955). Now I particularly need to see LAST TRAIN FROM BOMBAY (1952) and SKY COMMANDO (1953); cast members like Jon Hall, Dan Duryea, and Frances Gifford definitely intrigue..Jessica's Comet Over Hollywood review of the Twilight Time Blu-ray of APRIL LOVE (1957) made me want to pull out my copy and watch it!

...Attention Southern Californians: A new exhibit celebrating the centennial of MGM opens today, April 6th, at the Hollywood Heritage Museum...Thanks to reader Christine for alerting me to the first-ever Los Angeles Silent Film Festival. It will be hosted by Retroformat Silent Films at Mt. St. Mary's University on their Doheny Campus in Los Angeles this November...Christine also provided me with a very interesting article by Chris Nichols in Los Angeles Magazine about Metropolitan Theatres, the oldest chain in Los Angeles, which recently filed for bankruptcy.

...Notable Passings: The great cinema archives librarian Ned Comstock, who in his role at USC assisted both my husband and daughter over the years, has passed on. A memorial service will be held at USC on May 17th. Ned was unfailingly helpful to all and has probably been thanked in the acknowledgments of more classic film books than anyone else. (This accompanying photo is from a lovely Tweet thread from the Society for Cinema and Media Studies.)...Actress-turned-producer Lynn Loring (SEARCH FOR TOMORROW) has passed on at 80.

...Another Notable Passing: Barbara Rush has passed on at 97. I was very fortunate to see her interviewed in person on several occasions, including a pair of screenings at the 2019 TCM Classic Film Festival and also at the 2019 Cinecon Festival. I will always appreciate her especially for her work in the '50s sci-fi classics WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951) and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953). Survivors include her daughter, Fox News reporter Claudia Cowan.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please visit my March 30th column.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Entract said...

Hi Laura
I read that article in The Guardian too about the value of physical media. We both know its value of course and I just hope that it is recognised it is still much-needed before everything is geared to streaming and nothing else.
By the way, the new Warner Archive BluRay set of the WB TV series COLT .45 looks terrific. I never expected we would get that set to complete Warner Archives releases of their TV western series. I commend them for it.

1:54 AM  
Blogger ross said...

Hi, Laura. I don't buy a lot of physical media at present because I can't really afford it - besides, I work at a library and have access to many other libraries and their blu-rays and DVDs. But I own a lot of DVDs from when record and electronics stores sold them (even used ones). I'm really glad to have them.

Also - Ned Comstock! I have seen the name for years, being an avid reader of film books.
Barbara Rush, as well. I really liked her. I definitely have childhood memories of her in the sci-fi films you mentioned.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Hi Laura! thanks for the mention, having lots of fun watching through a bunch of those Sears movies, always a new area to explore and enjoy. Physical media (movies anyway) is in a boom period, in no great danger right now, pretty much anything you might want is out there.
There was one giant Tower Records in Toronto and that was a special day trip when I was a student. I used to love going there (along with the Canadian-famous Sam the Record/Movie Man) with my wantlist of movies, great memories!

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older