Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Beverly Cleary at 90

This week's Newsweek has a profile of children's author Beverly Cleary, 90 years young on April 12th. Cleary's birthday will be celebrated nationally with a "Drop Everything and Read Day." Her RAMONA books are going to be filmed.

Cleary's RIBSY was the first chapter book read by my youngest son. His older brother especially liked Cleary's HENRY HUGGINS and THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE.

Oldest daughter enjoyed Cleary's books for older children, such as SISTER OF THE BRIDE and THE LUCKIEST GIRL.

As for me, Cleary was never a particular favorite, but I do have a vivid memory of my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Pearson, reading OTIS SPOFFORD aloud to the class. Mrs. Pearson was a wonderful reader and the books she read to us, including Fred Gipson's SAVAGE SAM, are my happiest memories of that schoolyear.

Cleary's autobiography of her growing-up years, A GIRL FROM YAMHILL, is also on my shelves.

Happy birthday to an author who has contributed a great deal to children's literature over the decades.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I never read her books but I did enjoy reading "A Girl from Yamhill" when I was a teen.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older