Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Today at Disneyland

The weather was gorgeous today, sunny and warm but not too hot. A hint of fall was in the air as the shop windows on Main Street already have pumpkins on display.


The last week of August is usually slow at Disneyland, as school has already started in other states. We spent a wonderfully uncrowded morning enjoying rides with very short lines.

We even had the chance to ride both sides of the Matterhorn back to back and compare. We thought that the "right" side was smoother (the "outside" track makes wider turns) but the "left" side was more fun and had a better "splashdown" at the end.


Labor Day and the end of the 50th Anniversary Celebration are fast approaching. Already the merchandise available in the stores has been consolidated down to just a few shops. Soon the beautiful decorations will be part of park history and happy memories.

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

What a nice day for a visit. I wish I had an annual pass (long story why I don't). I will miss the 50th decorations. I think they did an outstanding job on them. By the way, I'm sure you are aware of the Disney Character Warehouse in Fullerton? I am hearing leftover 50th merchandise is going to start showing up there.

Thursday my daughter and I are going to Knotts with a discount ticket. Not as good as Disneyland (I think Cedar Fair is turning their backs on Walter Knotts original vision) but it will be a good time before school begins next week.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I haven't been to the Disney Character Warehouse in a long time...I really should go. Thanks for the reminder! I kept meaning to pick up the replica Fantasyland game -- we got the Monorail game -- but I think I missed the chance. Maybe they'll have it at the Warehouse.

Enjoy your day at Knott's! My daughter really enjoyed working there this summer.

Best wishes, Laura

2:57 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Aren't you the lucky one?! How marvelous it must be to have Disneyland in your backyard, so to speak. I think I have to go again soon. Especially with your photos to lure me on!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

We really are fortunate!

My husband and I met while working there during our college years, so it is extra-special to us. I have Walt Disney to thank, indirectly, for my family. :)

We talk sometimes about leaving CA for a less expensive area, but if we did move, I'd want to be within a day's drive of Disney World, at least (grin).

How long has it been since you last visited Disneyland, Anne?

Best wishes, Laura

4:09 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Laura, that's a terrific story! What were you both doing when you met? As students, I'm assuming?

It's been easily thirty years. Overdue for a return, right?!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, my husband and I each worked there four years while we were college students. I worked all four years in the Mexican restaurant in Frontierland. He spent most of those years on a janitorial crew in front of said restaurant. We met in the break area. Our first date was at Disneyland, of course. :)

The approximate location of the spot where we met is now a public area, thanks to remodeling over the years, so we've had fun taking a photo of our children in the exact spot where their parents met, LOL.

A great deal has changed in 30 years...you are definitely due for a visit! :)

Best wishes, Laura

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older