Tuesday, October 17, 2006

New on DVD: Pride and Prejudice (1940)

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, released last week on DVD, is one of several wonderful versions of Jane Austen's classic.

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE was also filmed in 1980, 1995, and 2005, and each of those productions has its strong points. The 1940 MGM production, directed by Robert Z. Leonard, is equally delightful. Yes, the costumes are anachronistic, the story was somewhat more condensed than in the other editions, and Greer Garson was too old to play Elizabeth. But none of that really matters, particularly when Garson and Laurence Olivier share the screen. (What that man could convey with his eyes is every bit as "swoony" as what Colin Firth accomplished in 1995...) Edmund Gwenn makes a perfect Mr. Bennet, Maureen O'Sullivan is a lovely Jane, and the rest of the cast is equally enjoyable. The film was made with MGM's usual impeccable production values.

This is one of those films that our entire family somehow ends up watching...again!...every time it turns up on TV. We'll be adding this one to our DVD library soon.

The DVD also includes a trailer, a short, and a cartoon.

July 2020 Update: This film has now been released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've already discussed this adaptation on my blog*, but I must add that this movie also has a wonderful Miss Bingley. And even though we don't see a whole lot of him, I've always liked the Mr. Bingley in this edition.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to re-blog now that the DVD has been released.

*In case you are interested and the link doesn't work, Laura and I discussed this movie on my blog, http://missyisms.typepad.com on August 6, 2006.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the link, Missy, that's a great addition! I'll be looking for your new post on the movie.

Laura :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger chrisd said...

I loved the Keira Knightly version, although I've been told over and over that it's not as good as the Colin Firth version.

My favorite about the Knightly version is Donald Sutherland and the sister who likes to read--was it Mary?

Anyway, I did like the old Hollywood version--so pretty. And yes, Garson and Olivier were beautiful, weren't they?

Great post!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I once rented this older version on VHS and quite liked it :)

I own the six hour A & E version and watch it over and over, my favorite. I really enjoyed the newest version because I loved the cinematography, just beautiful. Also I felt it was more realistic portraying how the country people lived.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Reps of Emma Watson said...

i think the 1940 vers is the best fllwd by the 1995 vers. i like the original vers a lot for the way garson and olvier played their roles so well and their exchange was alwiz subtle but not hidden..it's alwiz worth a re watch anytime..

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older