Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's Lurking in Your Spice Rack?

If you still have any McCormick Schilling spices or herbs in rectangular red and white or green and white tins...surprise! Except for Ground Black Pepper, they're over 15 years old!

Hard to believe, isn't it?

I confess that as recently as a year ago I had a green and white tin of Sweet Basil Leaves in my spice rack. I never used it because I knew it was very old, but I was sentimental as it was the very last of the old tins I had. I ended up washing it out and saving it as an "antique." :)

McCormick Schilling has a useful page on how to tell how old your spices are, linked above.

4 Comments:

Blogger jau said...

That's scary. I have way too many. On the other hand, do spices age in a bad way?

6:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL re Price Club! Wow, that's gotta be...pretty old. :)

Spices don't spoil, they just lose their flavor and usefulness. There is a FAQ button on the McCormick page that links to a page which discusses that briefly.

Laura

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

You checked out McCormick's Spice Encyclopedia, right? It's so interesting.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for the spice encyclopedia link! I hadn't looked at that section before and have now bookmarked it. :)

Best wishes, Laura

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older