Wednesday, April 25, 2007

20 Years of Dirty Dancing

Has it really been 20 years since the release of DIRTY DANCING?

The occasion is being marked with the release of a 20th anniversary DVD on May 8th.

Fans share their love for the film in a fun USA Today article at the subject link. But I had to shake my head when I read in the article about girls seeing the movie for the first time at ages 5, 8, and 12. The movie, which is rated PG-13, has some very adult themes, including abortion. It's an entertaining movie with some great music and dancing, but a kids' movie it's not.

Unfortunately, I don't think the exposure to this kind of film at a young age is unusual -- I am continually amazed when I hear which films certain of my children's acquaintances have seen. This is just one symptom of a trend to blur the line between childhood and adulthood, prematurely exposing children to adult issues, and I don't think the consequences are good for the children or society in general.

2 Comments:

Blogger UGN said...

Which reminds me...

Even if you are careful about which TV shows your kids watch, they play the commercials (with the most salicious parts featured) during the shows that you let them watch. They are after our kids.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That is a great point. We have found that problematic during sports like baseball which you can't even record and fast-forward through the ads; I seem to recall watching a World Series with really horrific movie ads (Halloween was approaching), etc.

Laura

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older