As the Coca-Cola 600 begins, let me count a few reasons why...
1) The politically incorrect prayers that precede every race, where not only "God" but "Jesus" is mentioned without fear.
2) The celebration of our military at every race, most especially on Memorial Day weekend, when the Charlotte Fire Department Bagpipers played "Amazing Grace" and an Army bugler played "Taps." And the flyovers.
3) Great renditions of the National Anthem. Hard to beat Leann Rimes' perfect a cappella singing today.
4) The unabashed celebration of American capitalism and ingenuity, through both advertising and engineering.
5) Family ties (such as the Burtons) and traditions.
6) "Gentlemen, start your engines!"
7) "Boogity, boogity, boogity...Let's go racing, boys!" And all that follows.
Back to the race now...