Thursday, August 23, 2007

Figueroa and Adams

There are many interesting buildings within blocks of USC. These are not the best photos, as they were taken from a car, but I thought it would be fun to share a couple. (Click to enlarge.)

The beautiful building below is the Automobile Club of Southern California, located at the corner of Figueroa and Adams.


The building was designed in the style of a Spanish cathedral, and serves as the Club's Los Angeles District Office. I believe it also houses the Auto Club's archives.

Across the street from the Auto Club is St. Vincent de Paul Church. The church was built in 1924, paid for by the Doheny Family. The Doheny Family also built USC's Doheny Memorial Library which opened 75 years ago next month.


The Doheny Family bought surrounding property and had the church built angled to the corner to ensure that no other buildings would ever obscure the view of the church. (They weren't counting on buses...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

The Revlon Run Walk for Women's Cancers goes right by these places. The first year I participated in the walk I went through the church. Many do and some will stop to pray or light a candle and then go back out to the walk. That area right around USC is very nice and includes some lovely old homes.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a lovely idea to stop in at the church mid-walk. I plan to go inside at some point -- I've seen photos and want to see it for myself.

Last year my daughter toured St. John's Episcopal, which sits catty-corner from St. Vincent De Paul. St. John's was built in 1925 and modeled after an 11th century Italian church. I hope to visit that one at some point as well.

For those who are interested, USC's bookstore sells a beautiful softcover photo book called A UNIVERSITY AND A NEIGHBORHOOD which has many photos and historic/architectural information on buildings surrounding the university. I haven't found it sold anywhere online.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:07 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Laura, I hope your daughter has a really terrific year! (I hope you don't miss her too much, too).

:)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Dana, on both counts!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older