Monday, February 04, 2008

Coming to DVD: Centennial (1978)

Great news today that CENTENNIAL, one of the classic productions from TV's "Golden Age of Miniseries" of the late '70s and '80s, is coming to DVD this summer.

CENTENNIAL has an all-star cast led by Robert Conrad and Richard Chamberlain in superb performances as a pair of frontier trappers. Conrad's performance as the fiery French-Canadian Pasquinel, in particular, was a great achievement which was unjustly ignored by the Emmy Awards.

Stephanie Zimbalist was also particularly notable as the young pioneer bride, Elly Zendt.

The huge cast also includes Barbara Carrera, Gregory Harrison, David Janssen, Dennis Weaver, Mark Harmon, Richard Crenna, Andy Griffith, and the list goes on and on.

If you'd like a preview, someone has put the series' closing cast montage, set to Merle Haggard's rendition of "I Guess He'd Rather be in Colorado," on YouTube. Watching the opening titles, with the stirring theme music, sure took me down memory lane. (Update: These clips were later removed from YouTube.)

CENTENNIAL was previously released on VHS.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Meece said...

I have been bouncing off the walls since I heard the news. I have looked weekly since 2000 for this DVD online. It only took 8 years of waiting. I am tempted to watch my copy we made from TV years ago; but I will make myself wait.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older