Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Postscript: University Apologizes re KKK Book

Last March I wrote about the mind-boggling case of an Indiana university disciplining a janitor for reading a history book about Notre Dame students fighting against the KKK.

The university said that reading anything about the KKK -- even about a battle against the Klan -- was insensitive to black coworkers and constituted racial harassment.

The university chancellor has, at long last, written a letter to the janitor apologizing.

Frankly, it strikes me as too little, too late. It's quite troubling that there was no one at the university willing to stop the madness and dismiss this incident months ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Laura, perhaps because I found this whole incident so unjust, I didn't buy the apology. Did you?

It seemed a half-hearted assumption of responsibility and accountability....I would have preferred a straight-up,

'I'm sorry that you were falsely accused. I'm sorry that you had to endure your character being questioned. And because of the inaccurate and destructive assumption of the school's affirmative action officer, Lillian Charleston, I have taken disciplinary action against her. I will do all I can to alleviate the sting of the maligning of your character. If I can do more, please let me know...'

There. Thats an apology I could accept. But good for Mr. Sampson for being the bigger person.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I suspect that many in the university bureaucracy still have no understanding regarding why what they did was so very wrong... I agree, the letter was rather wimpy in tone.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older