Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TCM's Mankiewicz to Replace Ebert

Disney has announced that a new version of AT THE MOVIES will be hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, weekend host of Turner Classic Movies, and Ben Lyons.

This week Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper announced their retirement from the show Ebert cofounded with Gene Siskel 33 years ago.

Ebert has been off the air for the past two years due to a lengthy battle with cancer.

I haven't read yet if Mankiewicz will continue his role at TCM. I hope so; I enjoy him as an occasional "change of pace" from Robert Osborne. Mankiewicz is the grandson of Herman Mankiewicz and the great-nephew of Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

Lyons is the son of critic Jeffrey Lyons.

2 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

A good choice- although I have to admit I spend more time reading Leonard Maltin and Roger Ebert (and Laura of course) than watching any of the shows on TV, except for TCM. I don't think I really watched At the Movies since Gene passed away. I remember watching it on my local PBS station!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I remember those early episodes too, J.C. (And thank you for the kind mention!) I hope this new format works out well.

It's been good to see Ebert is able to write reviews once more.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older