Monday, November 24, 2008

A Classic Movies Blog Roundup

I'm buried in work as I try to finish my last few proofreading jobs before taking a few days off...hopefully my break will include watching more old movies! It will be a fun week, including hosting our daughter's college roommate and seeing dear friends visiting from out of state.

In the meantime, there's a wealth of interesting writing on classic movies out there in the blogosphere...here are a few posts I've enjoyed recently.

Jacqueline muses on "10 Things I Like About Old Movies" at Another Old Movie Blog (click title of this post).

That theme was picked up by Campaspe at Self-Styled Siren.

Be sure to read all the comments on the above posts...I found myself regularly nodding in agreement: Art deco sets, check. Trains and ocean liners, check. "Buy war bonds at this theater," check. Nightclubs, check. Orry-Kelly and Adrian, check. And so much more...including the amazing supporting casts I mentioned last night.

Jacqueline also muses on typewriters and romance in a fun post. Sometimes I rather miss my old typewriter and that lovely ring when the end of the line was nearing...

At Skeins of Thought Moira Finnie has an excellent essay on librarians in the movies, which was originally posted at TCM's Movie Morlocks blog last summer. As I commented at her site, every time I thought of another librarian movie, I scrolled down a little further and she had it covered!

Katie Richardson at Obscure Classics recently posted on favorite wedding scenes and has some great picks. I especially enjoyed her thoughts on I MARRIED A WITCH; the wedding that wasn't and the wedding night that was were my two favorite scenes in the movie. (My review is here.) The only film she mentions which I haven't already seen -- and enjoyed -- is MAN'S CASTLE, which I recently taped.

At Movie Morlocks Suzidoll muses on Thanksgiving in the movies...Thanksgiving is depicted in films relatively rarely. Can you think of more titles than what she's listed? HOLIDAY INN comes to mind...

And speaking of Thanksgiving, if you haven't seen the Macy's ad with a montage of movie scenes mentioning the store, be sure to check it out at Classic Montgomery.

Happy reading!

5 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Well the first movie with Thanksgiving that comes to mind is one that I love to watch every Thanksgiving: Miracle on 34th Street. It's almost the perfect movie to take you from Thanksgiving to Christmas- and, of course, it has the motif of the Macy's parade in the beginning!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I used to work as a proofreader and copywriter for my father's advertising agency. I couldn't get into the business once I graduated college.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Hi again, Laura. Have you given a website named NetRightNation permission to use your posts? As you can see here, several of your posts are listed on their site. They lifted one of my mine without my permission and without attribution, so I'm telling everyone I "know" about this. I'd also like suggestions on how to let Blogger know if we can, without using snail mail. They say they don't do anything to outside sites that steal work, but if they have stolen a huge number of posts from Blogger, it might catch their interest.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Barb, I hadn't seen that site before. I've come across a couple similar sites which don't seem to be search engines, but claim the posts were "posted by administrator" or some such thing and wondered what on earth they were. I'll have to look at this more closely.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

J.C., I love to watch MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET on Thanksgiving weekend -- it's the perfect kickoff to the Christmas viewing season!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older