Thursday, July 30, 2009

NBC Plans Rockford Files Remake

Oh, puh-lease...

Producer David Shore (HOUSE), who is heading up the remake, says, "It's one of the shows that made me want to become a writer."

Hmmm...then why don't you use that talent to create something new?

Remakes have their place...I certainly watch a fair number of movie remakes, and it can be interesting to see different takes on the same story.

However, I think modern Hollywood too often uses old material as a crutch and views a familiar title as something which will be easier to market.

In the case of THE ROCKFORD FILES, there will only ever be one Jim Rockford, and I suspect James Garner's legions of other fans will agree with me.

5 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

I completely agree. You would think NBC would get the hint after the fiascos they had with the remake of Bionic Woman and Knight Rider.
I believe they would actually get higher ratings if they had a "retro hour" every night and showed some of their hits from the past.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

"I believe they would actually get higher ratings if they had a "retro hour" every night and showed some of their hits from the past."

Now that's a great idea, J.C.!!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:57 PM  
Blogger mel said...

I agree 100% with both of you.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

My husband was really interested in the Knight Rider remake until it ended up being mainly about sex. Would almost like the Code back just to see writers forced to be more creative.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for weighing in, Mel and Barb.

Some of my family members tried KNIGHT RIDER and thought it was awful.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older