Thursday, February 04, 2010

New on DVD: The Black Shield of Falworth (1954)

Over the past couple weekends I've shared links regarding the new Universal "on demand" program, with certain Universal titles burned to DVD-R and sold exclusively through Amazon.

I've had time to look more closely at the current titles offered and wanted to call particular attention to THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH (1954). This movie was on TV all the time when I was growing up, and I loved it. I have a feeling as an adult I may find Tony Curtis as a knight just a little less believable (grin)...but I'd love to see it again. I doubt I've seen it in the last 25 years.

This 2009 review of a Blu-ray release says, "I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this...it's not a film without its charms...a perfect guilty pleasure."

They did a great job on the DVD cover, as seen above.

I'll be curious to see reviews and feedback on the quality of the Universal "on demand" program. I hope to be able to review this DVD in the next few weeks.

5 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

It was released on Blu-Ray first a year ago, and is now being released on burn on demand? That's odd...
That being said, I've never seen so this looks like it might be fun. My tangential quibble with the Warner Archive, Universal/Tcms, etc is the fact that Netflix is not carrying them in their library. There are some I would love to rent, but not buy- and the only choice I would have, would be to go to Classicflix- which I don't have a problem doing, but two memberships is a bit much, and I would have a hard time convincing my kids and wife to give up the stuff they get off Netflix!
One Warner Archive title I really want to see is Doc Savage. I remember seeing it on tv as kid and it was campy superhero fun.

6:49 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Hoo Waaa Ha Ha Ha
This is the movie with the line that will haunt Tony Curtis beyond the grave "Yonda lies da castle of my Fodda". Except apparently, he never said it in this film, but in "The Son of Ali Baba". His accent invited lots of jokes.
This movies also has David Farrar as the villain, which is why I would watch it. Farrar never had much success in the US except in a few villain roles, but was a popular and versatile actor in England. He was a regular cast member in Powell & Pressburger's Archers productions. He is underappreciated today.

8:24 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

The Doc Savage TV movie with Ron Ely? I loved that when I was a kid. I'd love to see it again. I recently ordered a couple Doc Savage reprints, with original illustrations. I expect some fun reads real soon.

11:27 AM  
Blogger James Corry said...

ctually, Panavia, the movie you refer to "Doc Savage, The Man Of Bronze" was a theatrical release and the last film made by George Pal ("The Time Machine", "War Of The Worlds". It's utter failure at the box-office broke his heart and barred him from making anyfurther films. Pal had envisioned a "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" type of film, but the studio wanted "Batman" (the TV series). The film is available at the Warner Brothers Archive and is one of their best sellers (!!)

12:00 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Thanks for the update James Corry. I'm not sure about your comparison to "Raiders" as I do not like that film franchise AT ALL. But I like George Pal. I shall definitely revisit the Doc Savage movie. I remember that my parents also enjoyed it and they were fans of the original Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, etc. I grew up watching those 30's classic serials on "Creature Features". The Doc Savage movie is the only one that comes close to the charm of the originals.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older