Sunday, March 20, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Thanks to Leonard Maltin, I learned that the 112-acre Robert Taylor Ranch in Brentwood could be mine for a mere $35,000,000 -- marked down from $65,000,000. I love the views of the front of the home (seen at the left) and the pool area. More photos here.

...The new version of UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS arrives on PBS on April 10th. Jean Marsh returns as Rose, who is now the head housekeeper at Eaton Place.

...At Dear Old Hollywood, Robby has done a wonderful post examining the locations of BACHELOR IN PARADISE (1961), which was released last month on a remastered widescreen DVD by the Warner Archive. The movie has a terrific cast, starring Bob Hope, Lana Turner, Janis Paige, Jim Hutton, and Paula Prentiss.

...I was fascinated to read that Netflix has purchased an original TV series, HOUSE OF CARDS, starring Kevin Spacey. It's interesting to follow Netflix's rapid evolution.

...There's a project underway to restore Uncle Owen's STAR WARS homestead, still standing in Tunisia.

...HAPPY THOUGHTS, DARLING has beautiful photos from COME SEPTEMBER (1961), a fun movie filmed in Italy with Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Bobby Darin, and Sandra Dee. My younger daughter loves this movie. :)

...Thanks to Twitter links, I recently read a number of reviews of the Rod Taylor film DARK OF THE SUN (1968), shown recently at the New Beverly Cinema in the L.A. area. Here's one such review, which concludes "One thing that nights of seeing a movie like this at the New Beverly can remind you of is how many others that are still out there, that have yet to be seen, to be discovered, to be experienced for the first time and hopefully on 35mm. Because when you find one this good, getting to experience it with people who feel the same way, it really can be a beautiful thing." That comment calls to mind the great experience I had seeing CRY DANGER (1951) last Friday evening. DARK OF THE SUN is rumored to be coming to the Warner Archive later this year.

...THE TOURIST (2010), starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp, arrives on DVD Tuesday, March 22nd. I liked it and suggest ignoring the critics and giving it a try. As a bonus, the film features beautiful location shooting in Venice. (Update: Noel Murray of the L.A. Times: "This is a continental thriller in the tradition of CHARADE, and though it could've been a little lighter, it's far more deft than its reputation.")

...I've been gradually enjoying Season One of THE GOOD WIFE on DVD. Here's a nice article on the show from The L.A. Times. I hope it will be renewed for a third season.

...Speaking of TV, I'm not a fan of the idea to subtitle plot developments to keep viewers caught up with TV series storylines. It would be one thing if it were somehow optional, but many shows are visually cluttered these days with ads, promos, and now storyline explanations. Small wonder I wait for the DVD version!

...Reviews, reviews, and more reviews: Jacqueline looks at BELOVED ENEMY (1936), starring Brian Aherne and Merle Oberon, at Another Old Movie Blog. I've become an Aherne fan over the past couple years...Kevin's Movie Corner reviews Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, and a great cast in THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946)...Classicfilmboy's Movie Paradise reviews a different postwar Power film, THE LUCK OF THE IRISH (1948). I liked it more than he did, but I enjoyed reading his take...Distant Voices and Flickering Shadows ran a nice post on THE RAGE OF PARIS (1938). I really liked this Douglas Fairbanks Jr.-Danielle Darrieux movie...PERSONAL PROPERTY (1937), the Robert Taylor-Jean Harlow remake of Robert Montgomery's THE MAN IN POSSESSION (1931), was reviewed at Immortal Ephemera...and Cinema OCD reviews Montgomery and Norma Shearer in PRIVATE LIVES (1931).

...The Kay Francis film STREET OF WOMEN (1932), featured at Livin' Vintage, looks like fun. It's available from the Warner Archive.

...As mentioned in a post here last summer, In-N-Out Burger is expanding into Texas. The Orange County Register recently ran a nice essay by someone whose first job was working for In-N-Out.

...Greenbriar Picture Shows has a marvelous photo-filled tribute to Jean Harlow, as well as thoughts on the new book HARLOW IN HOLLYWOOD.

...Lou Lumenick has a terrific interview with Lee Tsiantis, who has worked on clearing the rights to THE CONSTANT NYMPH (1943) and NIGHT FLIGHT (1933). Tsiantis is still working on clearing the complicated rights mess which ties up LETTY LYNTON (1932), which Lumenick quite correctly identifies as a "Holy Grail" title. Tsiantis introduces CAUGHT (1949), starring James Mason and Robert Ryan, on TCM Monday evening, March 21st. I'm happy to say I have tickets to see CAUGHT on the big screen at next month's Noir City Festival in Hollywood.

...Notable passing: Jazz drummer Joe Morello, who performed with the Dave Brubeck Quartet, has passed away at the age of 82.

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Robby Cress said...

Thanks for the shout out Laura! And I always enjoy these "Around the Blogosphere" posts. They usually point me in the direction of some news items and other tidbits I probably would have missed out on.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're welcome, Robby, and thanks so much for letting me know you enjoy the roundup posts. I appreciate it!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:17 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you for the link. Looking forward to the new "Upstairs/Downstairs."

5:33 AM  
Blogger whistlingypsy said...

Laura, thank you for the mention; I have enjoyed reading your "Around the Blogosphere" and it is a nice surprise to see RAGE OF PARIS included. I read your review from 2009, and I was intrigued to learn that Henry Koster also directed THREE SMART GIRLS, a fun little comedy with Deanna Durbin and Ray Milland. Thanks for the update on UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS; I watched DOWNTON ABBEY recently and I’m looking forward to catching up with Rose and the new household. Curious that you should mention IN-N-OUT BURGERS; I’ve never heard of this chain, hope they expand a little closer to my home.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

Thanks for the mention of Immortal Ephemera, Laura, always appreciate it!

Just had the new Box Set of all 5 series of the original Upstairs Downstairs arrive today--the series originally aired just a little before my time and thus I've never seen them before. Really looking forward to my many hours to come with it!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura! I really look forward to your "Around the Blogosphere" posts. There's always something interesting that I would've missed out on otherwise.

This week I especially enjoyed the post you linked to about the locations in "Bachelor in Paradise." How fun to see those "then" and "now" comparisons!

Have a great week. :)

MC

6:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

A somewhat belated thanks to all of you for the very nice comments! I was happy to link to everyone; you all deserve credit for writing such interesting posts! :) I'm very happy to know the roundup posts are enjoyed -- it makes taking the time to do it very worthwhile.

Sounds like there are a lot of us curious about the new version of UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS. Enjoy your DVD set, Cliff! I enjoyed the series beginning as a teen and have collected the first three seasons to date. (I wish I could purchase Thinpak cases to replace the huge boxed sets I have!)

Whistling Gypsy, I think most Californians would agree that In-N-Out is "what a hamburger's all about," to quote their slogan. It was the first drive-through chain, beginning in 1948, and the company has been very cautious about expansion in order to maintain quality control. You can read some of the company's history here.

I hope you have the chance to try their food one day!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older