Friday, July 29, 2011

It's Coming...Downton Abbey Series 2

The second season -- or "series," as they say in England -- of DOWNTON ABBEY will be airing in the UK this September, with the United States airdates beginning January 8, 2012.

A press kit was released today which is available online. (Via Missy.) It contains beautiful color photos (be sure to scroll to the end), hints about plot developments, and previews of the DVD and soundtrack CD.

There will also be a book, THE WORLD OF DOWNTON ABBEY, which is currently available for preorder from Amazon UK (September release) or Amazon in the U.S. (December release).

The DVD will be released in the UK within days of the final airdate. There will also be a boxed set released of Series 1 and 2.

Hmmmm...for Series 1 I've been debating between the Region 1 DVD set or the Region 2 DVD which contains deleted scenes and two commentary tracks not included in the U.S. release. (*Why* did the U.S. not receive the full set of extras?!)

Perhaps I should order the complete series on Region 2 this fall...which would mean I could watch it before it airs here. I wonder if there are any restrictions on shipping Season 2 to the U.S. before it airs here?

This reminds me of early HARRY POTTER days when the books were released in the UK prior to the United States; when my oldest daughter was 10 I had to order HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN direct from England so she wouldn't have to wait to read it!

It's rather tempting to see if four months can be cut from the wait to watch the next part of the DOWNTON saga unfold. (Update: Missy points out in the comments that by the time the show finishes airing in the UK and the DVDs are out, it will be closer to the time the show begins airing in the U.S. than I'd calculated!)

Postscript: As I was wondering last weekend, it appears that the rumor Angela Lansbury was in the new series did not come to pass, unless she's a surprise guest star!

Update: Missy is linking to UK news coverage of today's media blitz.

5 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I was updating my blog with some of the tidbits from the back of the Media Book, when you posted.

I don't think the UK DVD/Blu-Ray discs will be out four months before PBS finally airs the program. Since there are 7-8 episodes, plus a Christmas special, the UK discs will release sometime in November or December...I think.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Oops, forgot to sign my previous comment.

Missy http://www.missyisms.com
(Don't think Google points there.)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good point, I will update my post!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Browniesmoke said...

We had a young friend of my oldest visit England that summer, and he brought us a copy of the third book of Harry Potter.

We were at a family vacation at Kiawah Island, and the kids and their father were in the pool. I was happily reading the book when a shadow fell over me. I looked up and found a little boy - maybe 8? - towering over me. When I looked up, he said in the Southern good ol' boy drawl (deeper than our own accents), "Whurr did you get that book?" When I told him, he said ominously, "Me and my bruthers have been WANTING that book....."

I knew then that JK Rowling was onto something if a little boy was stalking a stranger - a mother - at the pool for a BOOK!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Awesome story, Jill, I *love* it!

I surprised my daughter with it on a camping trip...but I waited till the drive *home* to give it to her because I knew once she got it she wouldn't be "available" or speak to the rest of us until she finished it, LOL. It kept her happily occupied for the 8-hour drive home.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older