Friday, July 08, 2011

Noir City Coming to Chicago

Regular readers know what a great time I had at the Noir City Festival in Hollywood last April. I managed to see seven double bills and had a great time each and every evening.

Classic film fans in the Chicago area may want to take note that an abbreviated version of the Noir City Festival is coming to Chicago's Music Box Theatre from August 12th through 18th.

There are seven double bills on the week-long schedule, which are due to be hosted by Alan Rode, Foster Hirsch, and Mr. Film Noir himself, Eddie Muller. (I'll be seeing Alan Rode speak tonight at UCLA, as a matter of fact...) All the films will be screened in 35-millimeter prints.

The opening night schedule at the Music Box features Robert Taylor and Audrey Totter in HIGH WALL (1947), which was also one of the opening night films in Hollywood, teamed with Olivia de Havilland in a dual role in THE DARK MIRROR (1946). I enjoyed both films enormously and highly recommend attending.

The Chicago schedule also features THE HUNTED (1948), starring Preston Foster and the ice skater Belita, which might possibly have been my favorite among the 14 great films I saw this spring. I completely "bought in" to the movie and had a marvelous experience discovering it for the first time.

I've never seen the other films on the schedule on a big screen, but here at home I've enjoyed the team of Ladd and Lake in both THE GLASS KEY (1942) and THE BLUE DAHLIA (1946).

I hope lots of classic film fans will turn out in Chicago to support Noir City and in turn have some great movie experiences!

2 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

What a thrilling evening at the movies!

Despite the many moments I admire in "Pursued", I'm more of a "Blood on the Moon" gal (if I had to choose).

Luke Short's book was recently re-issued under a paperback collection called Classic Film Collection, along with titles like "The Searchers", "The Stalking Moon", "Destry Rides Again", et cetera.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for your note, as well as for the info on the Luke Short book. I noticed the other day that STATION WEST was also based on a Short book. Might have to check him out in the future. :)

As much as I enjoy PURSUED, I think I enjoyed BLOOD ON THE MOON even more. It's a pretty perfect little movie!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older