Thursday, November 17, 2011

Warner Archive News

There have been some major, very exciting announcements today from the Warner Archive.

On December 6th the Archive will release the four-disc, eight-film Robert Montgomery Collection. I believe Montgomery has been enjoying something of a renaissance, as classic film fans discover his films thanks to Turner Classic Movies and the Warner Archive. This set will please his growing numbers of fans and hopefully help him find new ones!

The titles in the set, with my past reviews linked, where available: THE MAN IN POSSESSION (1931), SHIPMATES (1931), FAITHLESS (1932), LOVERS COURAGEOUS (1932), BUT THE FLESH IS WEAK (1932), MADE ON BROADWAY (1933), LIVE, LOVE AND LEARN (1937), and THE EARL OF CHICAGO (1940).

Now if we could only have Montgomery and Crawford's LETTY LYNTON (1932) untangled from its legal nightmare at last...well, we'll hope that happens before too long.

The Archive is cleverly making December 6th a "Montgomery" day by also releasing Elizabeth Montgomery in BELLE STARR and BETWEEN THE DARKNESS AND THE DAWN.

But wait, there's more! A remastered copy of the long-unavailable THE CONSTANT NYMPH (1943) will be out on November 22nd. I expect that will be an Archive best-seller.

Also coming November 22: the nine-film Monogram Cowboy Collection.

The Monogram Cowboy Collection will include titles with Johnny Mack Brown, Jimmy Wakeley, and Rod Cameron.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Lol, I just read your post after posting mine - I had the same Lettyu Lynton thought!

Woot! Can't wait for Vol. 2!

4:06 PM  
Blogger KC said...

I'm excited about that Montgomery set. Letty L. would make it pretty amazing though. I'll bet it'll be available some day!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't gotten into the Warner Archive stuff yet (I don't buy very many DVDs at all - it's either renting or blu-ray), but I might have to make an exception for The Constant Nymph. I'm actually surprised they're just doing an Archive release for that and not a regular DVD release.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I just have to say: beautiful cover on the Montgomery collection. I love the photo they chose.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I sure agree, Audrey! I'm looking forward to that cover gracing my DVD shelves one day hopefully soon. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older