Sunday, March 25, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...My recent "Gone Too Soon" post on actress Gail Russell has been adapted and posted at MovieFanFare. I appreciate MovieFanFare sharing this post with their readers, and I'm especially happy to have the chance to share thoughts on one of my favorite actresses with a wider audience.

...MAD MEN returned to TV tonight after an absence of roughly a year and a half. I enjoy "speed watching" the show; I like keeping up with the overall plots and taking in the sets and costumes, but I'm not interested in burying myself in its endlessly depressing darkness for every second of a full episode. (Honestly, if the show were all one knew of the '60s you'd think no one in that era was ever happy.) I do a fair amount of fast-forwarding. Heresy, perhaps, but it works for me. Motorcyle Boy has a good post on the show at The Lady Eve's Reel Life. I also enjoyed Robert Lloyd's review in the L.A. Times.

...I had no idea before today that Jared Harris, who's so good playing Lane Pryce on MAD MEN, is the son of the late Richard Harris.

...The Pioneer Woman's Cajun Chicken Pasta looks fantastic, although I think I might try substituting some simple olive oil with garlic for the wine & cream sauce.

...Jill has posted some great Life Magazine photos of James Stewart's return from wartime service at The Cinementals.

...And be sure to catch the ongoing "March in March" tribute to actor Fredric March at Jill's other blog, Sittin' on a Backyard Fence. I unfortunately ran out of time to offer a contribution myself to the "free for all" this weekend, but there are tons of good posts. One of my favorites was by Cliff at Immortal Ephemera, but be sure to check them all out!

...A review at A Shroud of Thoughts has convinced me I need to try the '60s TV series MY LIVING DOLL. Be sure to read the comments carefully; there is some special feedback.

...Musicals with remote pit orchestras? That's just weird.

...Actress Julie Adams has a Facebook page. If you're on Facebook, stop by and say hello!

...Greenbriar Picture Shows has some great new posts on THE BURNING HILLS (1956), starring Natalie Wood and Tab Hunter, and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956) with Dana Andrews and an all-star cast. As is always the case at Greenbriar, they're packed with excellent photos.

...Colin recently reviewed THE BRIBE (1949) at his blog Riding the High Country. I enjoyed this movie, which stars Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner, Charles Laughton, and Vincent Price and was directed by Robert Z. Leonard. In the comments, Blake Lucas offers the interesting rumor that Vincente Minnelli directed the climactic fireworks sequence. I could see that being a possibility; it's an especially stylish and memorable scene.

...I always enjoy Barrie Maxwell's columns at The Digital Bits, and his latest is especially interesting, focusing on the career of David O. Selznick and the availability of Selznick's films on DVD.

...Out this week on DVD from Olive: Ray Milland, Joan Fontaine, and Teresa Wright in SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR (1952), reviewed by Glenn Erickson; and Barbara Stanwyck and John Lund in NO MAN OF HER OWN (1952), which I loved last year.

...Attention Southern Californians: There's a new Warner Bros. TV exhibit at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills.

...Notable Passing: Lincoln Hall, who remarkably survived a night on Everest without equipment in 2006, has passed away at the age of 56. The cause was mesothelioma.

Have a great week!

12 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

Thanks Laura! The post on the actual movie should be going up on Jill's site later this week.

Congrats on having your Gail Russell post appear at MovieFanFare!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Michele B. said...

I'll join you as wanting to see My Living Doll after that review (loved the comment!) I'd never heard of it before now. Sounds like great fun!

I enjoyed the pictures of James Stewart. Thought you would be interested to know that DS and I watched Rear Window yesterday, which he loved. He was quite taken with the fact that a movie could be made with only one set used. He wants to see "more old movies like that."

2:46 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Thanks for flagging up my piece on The Bribe - much appreciated.

Colin

3:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'll be watching for your next post, Cliff, and thank you so much for the good wishes!

Michele, wasn't that comment neat! We'll have to compare notes when we each have time to check it out. It doesn't look as though Netflix has picked up the DVDs, but the purchase price is reasonable.

Needless to say, I *loved* hearing that DS loved seeing REAR WINDOW with you! Especially as Oldest Daughter has such great memories of watching it at your home a number of years ago. I hope he'll enjoy "more old movies like that"!

You're very welcome, Colin, I always enjoy your thoughtful and detailed reviews and the ensuing discussions!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:47 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Kudos to MovieFanFare for recognizing your article.

Thanks for reminding me about the Fredric March series. Mr. March was a favourite of both my grandfather and my father. He's a legacy for generations.

I know what you mean about "Mad Men". Fond as I am of the show, it does seem to be judgmental in its hindsight - and where's the fun?

2:23 PM  
Blogger Citizen Screen said...

Just a shout out, Laura. thoroughly enjoy these listing of "happenings." Congrats on the recognition of your article!

Aurora

6:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much, Aurora! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Knowing that others enjoy this weekly roundup makes the effort more than worth it.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Caftan Woman!

I really enjoy Fredric March, especially in his comedies like THERE GOES MY HEART and I MARRIED A WITCH. There have been so many good articles to read on him thanks to the blogathon!

Love your comment on MAD MEN, that pretty much sums up where I'm at with it. I want to know what's going on with the show, but if I watch it for too long I feel like I need to go to Disneyland or something to counteract the effects. It's interesting that dark fare like film noir doesn't affect me in the same way. I haven't figured out why. Perhaps it's because a noir wraps up in 85 minutes while the MAD MEN characters are depressed and unhappy for years on end?

Best wishes,
Laura

7:09 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I appreciate the drama of "Mad Men" and I don't want them to foresake their vision. However, I think what bothers me is that some viewers, not all, but some will consider it the last word on the era without considering other POVs.

6:21 AM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, great "Around the Blogosphere" round-up, as always! I was pleased to see THE BRIBE mentioned; admittedly, I first came to like it years ago when much of its footage was used in Steve Martin's clever comedy DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID! :-)

My hubby Vinnie Bartilucci was a very happy fella when he got his MY LIVING DOLL boxed set! :-) If you're interested, do read Vinnie's review over at his blog THE FORTY-YEAR-OLD FANBOY:

http://40yearoldfanboy.blogspot.com/2012/03/on-series-that-deserves-lot-more.html

8:17 AM  
Blogger kittenbiscuits said...

Laura,

Thank you so much for The Cinementals and March-in-March mentions! Thank you so much! I'm so glad that everyone is enjoying the event. It warms my heart to know that so many love Freddie. There are many more wonderful pieces to come. And I'll be closing the event out with an essay about a couple of my most favorite and forgotten March performances.

Congrats on the MovieFanFare pick-up!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Dorian, Thanks so much! I headed over to read Vinnie's comments on MY LIVING DOLL and thoroughly enjoyed the post, glad you let me know! I'm a Newmar fan since she was in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. It really does sound like fun. And it's kind of fun it's a show actually filmed in the '60s, since Caftan Woman and I were discussing our takes on the '60s-set show MAD MEN!

Jill, it's my pleasure, and thanks for the congrats! I see there are more March in March posts I need to read, such as a new one on I MARRIED A WITCH. Bookmarking for tomorrow! And I'll be watching for your closing essay.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older