Sunday, May 20, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Last month I linked to initial information on a set of Columbia pre-Code films coming from TCM. The tentative box art is now available, and TCM has posted a pre-order listing for the set, which is due to ship on July 2nd. The five-film set includes TEN CENTS A DANCE (1931) and SHOPWORN (1932) with Barbara Stanwyck, ARIZONA (1931) with John Wayne, VIRTUE (1932) with Carole Lombard, and THREE WISE GIRLS (1932) with Jean Harlow. All the films have been restored and remastered.

...Tom Selleck's latest JESSE STONE TV-movie, BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT (2012), airs tonight on CBS. Selleck says he's not done yet with the character, but future films may be on another network.

...I'm very interested in seeing the new Olive release THE LAWLESS (1950), as it stars two actors I enjoy, Macdonald Carey and Gail Russell. Here are reviews by Matt Hinrichs and Glenn Erickson.

...Before reading Raquelle's post at Out of the Past, I had no idea that the 1959 Debbie Reynolds-Tony Randall comedy THE MATING GAME was based on the same source material as the British TV series THE DARLING BUDS OF MAY (1991), which is perhaps best known for providing an early starring role for Catherine Zeta-Jones. I have THE MATING GAME on tape and am looking forward to checking it out...as soon as a replacement VCR arrives, since my VHS player abruptly gave up the ghost last week!

...Due out next month on DVD from Olive: THE HANGMAN (1959), directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Robert Taylor, Fess Parker, Jack Lord, and Tina Louise.

...Mike Clark reviews RUN FOR THE SUN (1956) at Home Media Magazine. This Richard Widmark-Jane Greer film has previously only been released on Region 2 DVD and is due out soon as part of the MGM DVD-R program. I enjoyed it and think it's worth checking out.

...Dan Stevens, who plays Matthew Crawley on DOWNTON ABBEY, is going to star in a Broadway revival of THE HEIRESS. Jessica Chastain and David Strathairn will costar.

...As is probably apparent from this week's roundup, Olive Films has been releasing so many interesting movies! SILVER CITY (1951) is on my "must see" list after reading Glenn Erickson's review, which says the movie is "a highly enjoyable, unpretentious western with pretty much everything 'oater' fans enjoy... Besides an intelligent story, it has a well-developed romantic angle." Best of all, it stars one of my faves, Yvonne DeCarlo. She costars with Edmond O'Brien and Laura Elliott (Kasey Rogers).

...Kyle Chandler of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS will be starring in a Martin Scorsese film, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET.  Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill costar.

...I'm going to need to cut this week's roundup off here as I'm having technical problems with Blogger tonight.

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Thanks for the heads up on The Mating Game.
I taped Jesse Stone last night. I really dislike the attitude of network tv. I'm wondering how it did in the ratings against the Billboard Awards show on abc. It would be great if Jesse beat them :)
With regard to your other post before this - have fun at the Fantasmic event. I would go but getting up the next morning for work would be a problem :)

7:24 AM  
Blogger KC said...

That pre-code set sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

10:07 AM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura -
I love THE DARLING BUDS OF MAY! How nice to know there are other U.S. fans out there since the series so seldom plays on American T.V. How fun to learn the books were the basis for THE MATING GAME. Thanks for the interesting tidbit - I can always count on you! Jane

8:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad I could pass on the interesting info on THE MATING GAME, as well as the new pre-Code set! Thanks to you all so much for the feedback. :)

I agree, Irene, I'd love JESSE to do well in the ratings! My husband enjoyed watching it. I'm still a couple movies behind and will wait for the DVD.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:40 AM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, I hope your movie-watching equipment will be either fixed or replaced in the not-too-distant future; we need our classic movie fix and popular TV show fix! :-)

You got me interested in SILVER CITY when you mentioned Laura Elliott a.k.a. Kasey Rogers of STRANGERS ON A TRAIN fame! I'll keep an eye out for it; thanks for keeping us tuned in and turned on! :-)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older